Why men may remain monogamous despite temptationFebruary 23rd, 2011 - 3:07 pm ICT by ANI
Washington, Feb 23 (ANI): Men naturally find ovulating women more attractive, but deliberately play down this attraction if they are in a committed relationship, a new study has found.
Researchers at Florida State University looked at how relationship status influenced men’s attraction to a woman throughout her menstrual cycle, reports Discovery News.
They found that although men rated a woman the most attractive at the peak of her ovulation, male subjects in a committed relationship behaved the opposite by giving the woman lower attractive marks during her fertility peak.
To make sure subjects weren’t swayed by flirting or unnatural scents, researchers instructed the woman to wear the same modest clothes, taught her how to have neutral interactions with all the men, asked her to use scentless hygiene products and requested she ditch perfumes and deodorants during the experiment.
The results showed that people in relationships are more likely to subconsciously reduce thoughts of temptation.
Researchers call these tendencies “relationship maintenance strategies,” where we downplay the attractiveness of others we might be tempted by.
The authors admit the findings may not necessarily apply to sensing ovulation cues in women men already know, which would make another intriguing study in the future.
The study appears in the journal of Experimental Social Psychology. (ANI)
- Ovulation really does change women's behavior - Aug 19, 2010
- Do female voices give clue of ovulation? - Sep 25, 2011
- Top 10 sexiest science stories of 2010 - Dec 08, 2010
- Ovulating women unconsciously buy sexier clothes - Aug 05, 2010
- Envy drives fertile women into buying sexier dress - Aug 05, 2010
- Fertile women can tell straight from gay - Jun 23, 2011
- Thinking won't help you resist temptation - Oct 27, 2011
- Men find women's scent bigger turn-on than perfumes - Jan 14, 2010
- Women's voices remain steady throughout menstrual cycle - Apr 12, 2011
- Fertile women 'get easily attracted to flirty men' - Dec 20, 2009
- Men can 'sniff out' ovulating women - Jan 23, 2010
- The Pill 'turns women off macho men' - Oct 08, 2009
- Women turn smarter during ovulation - Jun 30, 2010
- Scent of a fertile woman sends men's testosterone soaring - Jan 14, 2010
- Menstruation ups knee injury risks, contraceptive pill protects - Apr 28, 2011
Tags: attractiveness, cues, deodorants, discovery news, ditch, experimental social psychology, florida state university, hygiene products, intriguing study, journal of experimental social psychology, maintenance strategies, male subjects, menstrual cycle, modest clothes, ovulation, perfumes, relationship maintenance, relationship status, scents, women men