Why Leonardo Da Vinci’s faces were so perfectJuly 16th, 2010 - 1:17 pm ICT by ANI
Washington, July 16 (ANI): Scientists may have unlocked the mystery behind Leonardo Da Vinci’s perfect faces, like the Mona Lisa.
Philippe Walter, of the Laboratoire du Centre de Recherche et de Restauration des Musees de France and his colleagues conducted a first time quantitative chemical analysis on seven paintings from the Louvre Museum.
Da Vinci’s paintings are especially fascinating for a range of subtle optical effects that blur outlines, soften transitions and blend shadows like smoke.
The technique, called ’sfumato’, indicates not just his genius, but also of technical innovations at the beginning of the 16th century.
The scientists concentrated on the study of the faces because they have the characteristics of the sfumato.
They used a technique called X-ray fluorescence to determine the composition and thickness of each layer in nine faces.
The team also found that the ’shadowy effect’ in Da Vinci’s paintings characterized by a technique (the use of glaze layers or a very thin paint) and by the nature of the pigments or additives.
In the case of the glazes, thin layers of 1 to 2 micrometers were applied to obtain a total thickness of no more than 30 to 40 micrometers.
The study is published today in the journal Angewandte Chemie International Edition. (ANI)
- Scientists find key to Da Vinci's lively paintings - Jul 16, 2010
- Scientists unlock secret behind Mona Lisa's mystic smile - Aug 23, 2010
- Secret of Mona Lisa smile revealed - Aug 22, 2010
- Scientists crack some secrets of Mona Lisa - Jul 18, 2010
- French Scientists Crack Secrets Of The Purportedly Inscrutable Mona Lisa - Jul 18, 2010
- Scientists Crack Secrets Of Flawless Mona Lisa Painting - Jul 18, 2010
- Historians search for Mona Lisa remains - May 02, 2011
- Was Leonardo da Vinci's Mona Lisa a man? - Feb 03, 2011
- Gian Giacomo Caprotti Was The Muse For Mona Lisa Portrait, Italian Researchers Say - Feb 03, 2011
- Mona Lisa's 'twin sister' found 500 years later - Feb 02, 2012
- X-rays reveal why van Gogh paintings are losing their shine - Feb 15, 2011
- 'Mysterious, hidden literary references' found in the Mona Lisa - Jan 07, 2011
- Remains of 'Mona Lisa' to be dug up - Apr 06, 2011
- Hunt for Mona Lisa: Archaeologists find new tomb - May 13, 2011
- Geek goddess: Mona Lisa with moustache, gun and dog - Feb 01, 2011
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,