Why can’t wives cook the mothers’ wayMarch 16th, 2012 - 12:25 pm ICT by IANS
London, March 16 (IANS) When it comes to cooking, there is nothing like mother’s prepared meal for a man, no matter how happily married he may be, a British study has found.
According to the men’s survey, a mother dishes up hearty traditional meals unlike the smart culinary stuff or quick food favoured by modern-day women. Remarkably, many men point this out to their partners.
Mothers rarely serve ready meals, have a wider repertoire of dishes, and always cook something they know their sons like. Wives and girlfriends, on the other hand, are likely to rely on the microwave or oven-ready meals from the freezer because they are strapped for time because of work or child care, it was found.
The poll, by entertainment channel Food Network UK, also found that one in four men often sneaks back to mum’s for a spot of dinner without his wife or girlfriend knowing.
Survey spokesman Nick Thorogood said: “It is quite endearing that men prefer their mother’s cooking.
“As adults, men still seek the comfort and tradition of the cooking they have grown up with so they turn to their mums for what they perceive as a proper meal.”
At least 13 percent of the 2,000 men polled, told their nearest and dearest that they should take cooking advice from mother-in-law and brush up on culinary skills.
Unsurprisingly, it caused “upset”‘ in two-thirds of relationships.
- Study reveals that Men prefer mum's cooking - Mar 16, 2012
- One in twenty Brit women don't know how to boil even an egg - May 03, 2011
- Chinese stir-fry is Britain's top dish - Jan 22, 2012
- Microwave oven-Maid launched - Jun 25, 2012
- Historic Moti Mahal enters kitchens with convenience food - Jul 22, 2010
- Now children are cooking their first meal 5-yrs earlier than their parents did - Feb 16, 2011
- 40pc of Brits prefer their mums' home cooking to anyone else's - Aug 31, 2010
- Shepherd's pie is Brits' favourite home-cooked meal - Apr 15, 2010
- It's Onam , but few homes will do the full 26-dish sadhya - Aug 24, 2012
- Hungry thief cooks meal after breaking into US restaurant - Mar 24, 2010
- Knightley brushing up culinary skills - Jun 24, 2012
- In Britain, just one in four meals is home-cooked - Nov 27, 2011
- Average Brit mum relies on just nine meals to feed her family - Nov 16, 2009
- Stuffing Recipes Create Buzz On The Web Before Thanksgiving - Nov 22, 2010
- Handy Tips For No-Cook Meals - Aug 22, 2010
Tags: child care, culinary skills, dishes, favoured, food network, four men, girlfriend, london march, many men, meals from the freezer, microwave, mother in law, mums, nick thorogood, ready meals, relationships, spokesman, traditional meals, two thirds, wives and girlfriends