West Bengal’s Malda hit by bird flu, culling begins (Lead)December 16th, 2008 - 6:49 pm ICT by IANS
Kolkata, Dec 16 (IANS) West Bengal Tuesday began culling poultry in Malda district where bird flu has reappeared - the second time this year - and asked people not to panic. About 35,000 poultry in Malda, 350 km from here, have been affected with the H5N1 bird flu virus.
Animal Resources Development (ARD) Minister Anisur Rehman told IANS: “We have taken all steps to prevent spread of bird flu. We are fully prepared.”
Rehman appealed to the people not to panic.
“Please don’t panic. The administration is monitoring the situation constantly. There is also no bar on sale and consumption of poultry products outside the notified area (3 km radius from the affected places). But people have to take some precautionary measures,” Rehman said.
Malda District Magistrate Sridhar Ghosh told IANS, “We have started mopping and culling of poultry within a radius of three km from the affected district.”
“Due to fog and bad weather conditions, our operations were a bit delayed. About 15,000 hens and ducks will be culled in total,” Ghosh said.
Rehman earlier confirmed that two blood samples of dead poultry sent to the High Security Disease Diagnostic Laboratory at Bhopal tested positive for avian flu.
The samples were from Narhatta and Satgheria villages under English Bazar police station in Malda.
The samples were sent to the laboratory after around 5,000 poultry died in Narhatta village during the past one week.
Sale and consumption of poultry products have been banned in the affected area.
Over 200,000 birds were culled when avian flu was detected in several north and south Bengal districts in January this year.
An outbreak of bird flu in poultry was also detected in Malda in March, resulting in the culling of more than 50,000 birds then.
- Hit by avian flu again, West Bengal's Malda begins culling - Dec 16, 2008
- Avian Flu virus found in West Bengal, culling ordered - Dec 16, 2008
- West Bengal starts 3-day culling in bird flu hit Malda (Second Lead) - Dec 16, 2008
- Culling of birds starts in Bengal - Sep 20, 2011
- 9,000 birds culled in bird-flu hit Bengal district - Dec 18, 2008
- Over 20,000 poultry culled in West Bengal - Dec 20, 2008
- Over 22,000 poultry culled in bird flu-hit Malda - Dec 21, 2008
- Culling on in West Bengal's bird flu-hit Malda (Lead) - Dec 17, 2008
- About 17,000 poultry culled in West Bengal - Dec 19, 2008
- Tripura begins culling to contain bird flu - Jan 27, 2012
- Bird flu case surfaces in Bhubaneswar - Feb 04, 2012
- India confirms bird flu in Bengal, PM concerned - Sep 20, 2011
- Bird flu: Culling of birds planned in Bhubaneswar (Lead) - Feb 04, 2012
- Bird flu: Culling begins in Tripura - Mar 08, 2011
- Bird flu: Odisha begins culling poultry birds - Jan 12, 2012