West Bengal govt says Singur land can”t be returned legallyAugust 31st, 2008 - 8:21 pm ICT by ANI
Kolkata, Aug 31 (ANI): The West Bengal Government on Sunday said that it is legally not possible to return the land acquired under the acquisition law for the TATA Nano project.
While quoting a ruling from the Supreme Court, the West Bengal Industry Minister Nirupam Sen said, “The way Mamata Banerjee is demanding, it is impossible for the State Government to meet her demand.
Legally, it is not possible to return the land acquired under Land Acquisition Act,” added Sen.
He also said that the issue had also been taken to the Calcutta High Court and it ruled that land acquisition was as per law.
Banerjee led Trinamool Congress is at a sit-in protest at Singur demanding the return of 400 acres of land taken for the TATA Nano project in Singur.
Tata Motors head Ratan Tata has threatened to move the plant if violent protests continued, despite having invested 350 million dollar in the project.
Meanwhile Tata Motor’’s decision to move out of West Bengal has already been welcomed by states like Maharashtra, Punjab and Orissa, which are willing to give it land for setting up the plant in their regions. (ANI)
- West Bengal moves apex court on Singur land law - Aug 07, 2012
- I believe Singur's farmers will win, says Mamata - Jun 22, 2012
- Tata compliments Mamata, she says thanks - Dec 15, 2011
- Singur farmers distribute sweets, throw colour - Sep 28, 2011
- CPI-M leader keeps away from his 'Occupy Singur' movement - Jul 03, 2012
- Mamata thanks people for moral support on Singur - Jun 23, 2012
- Mamata government reactivates Singur movement panel - Jun 23, 2012
- Court scraps Singur land law, Mamata suffers setback (Second Lead) - Jun 22, 2012
- Mamata rejects Bengal government offer on Singur land - Nov 18, 2010
- Congress seeks all party meet on Singur issue - Jun 24, 2012
- Singur verdict people's victory: Mamata - Sep 28, 2011
- Tata's Singur case appeal assigned to new bench - Nov 01, 2011
- West Bengal minister visits Singur site - May 31, 2011
- We are committed to the cause of Singur farmers: Mamata (Lead) - Jun 22, 2012
- Singur land act held valid, Singur farmers celebrate - Sep 29, 2011