Well-planned vegetarian, vegan diets beneficial for pregnant mumsMarch 3rd, 2009 - 2:08 pm ICT by ANI
Washington, Mar 3 (ANI): Expectant mothers should have well-planned vegetarian and vegan diets for healthful pregnancies, say experts.
According to the American Dietetic Association, “well-planned vegan and other types of vegetarian diets are appropriate for all stages of the life cycle, including during pregnancy, lactation, infancy, childhood, and adolescence.”
While vitamin B12 deficiency may increase the risk for neural tube defects, experts from Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine (PCRM) suggest that requirements can be met with fortified foods or any common multivitamin.
“Women who follow vegan diets not only have healthy pregnancies, they are often healthier than moms who consume meat,” said Susan Levin, M.S., R.D., staff dietician with PCRM.
“By eating a variety of fruits, vegetables, and other healthful vegetarian foods and including breakfast cereals or other foods fortified with vitamin B12, mothers and their children can obtain all the nutrients they need to thrive, the expert added.
During the study, the researchers analysed the stored blood samples originally collected during pregnancy from three groups of Irish women between 1983 and 1990.
The analyses of vegetarians” breast milk show that the levels of environmental contaminants in milk are much lower than in non-vegetarians.
Vegetarian diets offer a number of nutritional benefits, including lower levels of saturated fat and cholesterol and higher levels of fibre, folate, and cancer-fighting antioxidants and phytochemicals. (ANI)
- Vegan lifestyle 'ups risk of heart attack, stroke' - Apr 07, 2011
- High heart attack risks in vegans can be cut by omega-3s and B12 - Feb 03, 2011
- Vegetarian diets can keep heart disease, cancer, obesity, diabetes at bay - Jul 05, 2009
- Diet high in B-vitamins lowers heart risk - Apr 19, 2010
- Veg diets can help prevent chronic diseases - Jul 03, 2009
- Diet high in B-vitamins 'lowers heart risk' - Apr 16, 2010
- Rajasthan launches fortified foods to tackle malnutrition - Feb 03, 2012
- India battles malnutrition with fortified food - Jul 21, 2011
- Watch your diet, you multi-tasking women! (March 8 is International Women's Day) - Mar 06, 2012
- Hollywood-Bollywood come together for vegan cookbook - Jul 03, 2012
- Lose weight post-pregnancy - but don't rush it - Jun 15, 2012
- Inadequate diet 'can cause anemia in postmenopausal women' - Mar 25, 2011
- Folic acid protects offsprings from colon cancer - May 27, 2011
- Eat light, healthy food to stay cool this summer: Doctors - May 17, 2012
- Vegetarians have lower risk of heart disease, stroke - Apr 14, 2011
Tags: american dietetic association, blood samples, breakfast cereals, breast milk, childhood and adolescence, dietician, environmental contaminants, folate, fortified foods, fruits vegetables, infancy childhood, irish women, neural tube defects, pcrm, physicians committee for responsible medicine, susan levin, vegan diets, vegetarian diets, vegetarian foods, vitamin b12 deficiency