Wearing leggings could do more harm than goodMay 2nd, 2011 - 2:52 pm ICT by ANI
London, May 2 (ANI): In what has come as a rude shock to an army of women, a new study has warned that leggings could make the muscles ‘lazy’ and can result in flabby stomachs and wobbly legs.
For thousands of women, leggings have become a wardrobe staple - to hide all manner of sins whether it’s forgetting to wax or having a ‘fat’ day.
“Leggings feel good and look great and I am as addicted to them as anyone, but there is a downside,” the Daily Mail quoted physiotherapist Sammy Margo as saying.
“They hold in and support the quadriceps (thigh muscles), buttocks and core muscles in your tummy, and do the job the muscles are supposed to do.
“As a result, the muscles are allowed to relax and switch off, so when we reveal our bodies for the first time as summer approaches, they are not as svelte or firm as they otherwise would be.”
The problem is further exacerbated because wearers’ bare legs and midriffs are ‘out of sight, out of mind’, so women are less inclined to take steps to tone up during the winter months,” she added.
Celebrity advocates of leggings include Michelle Obama, Gwyneth Paltrow, Katy Perry and Victoria Beckham, who even launched her own designer range. (ANI)
- Flabby tummies are women's 'worst body hang-up' - Dec 28, 2009
- Dare to bare toned legs with thigh-high slits! - Aug 12, 2012
- Injured Deco out of Libertadores quarter-final - May 15, 2012
- Internet surfing major cause of back pain in women - Oct 19, 2010
- Internet surfing major cause of chronic back pain in middle-aged women - Oct 18, 2010
- Forget facelift and tummy tuck, bum lift is the latest cosmetic craze! - Sep 28, 2010
- High heels could be bad for your health - Jan 28, 2012
- Gwyneth Paltrow's Emmy dress is a hit - Sep 19, 2011
- Bingo wings - a real fashion killer for Brit women - Dec 02, 2010
- Watch your step - with high heels - May 20, 2010
- Zeta-Jones too lazy to exercise - Jun 11, 2012
- Gwyneth Paltrow is the new face of Coach - Apr 26, 2011
- Who says short girls can't flaunt gowns? (With Images) - Jun 06, 2012
- Japanese creates robotic buttocks that quiver - Jul 06, 2012
- The most common myths about exercise - Nov 21, 2010
Tags: buttocks, daily mail, downside, fat day, gwyneth paltrow, leggings, michelle obama, midriffs, out of sight, physiotherapist, quadriceps, rude shock, sammy margo, staple, stomachs, summer approaches, thigh muscles, victoria beckham, wardrobe, wobbly legs