Watercress may help fight breast cancerSeptember 14th, 2010 - 10:58 am ICT by ANI
London, Sept 14 (ANI): Eating a portion of watercress every day could help prevent breast cancer, according to a new research.
Researchers at the University of Southampton say that the vitamin-packed salad veg may provide one of the first natural defences against the disease.
They found that a cereal bowl-sized helping of the superfood triggered changes in blood cells that blocked tumour formation.
The chemical in watercress that makes it taste peppery - phenyethyl isothiocyanate, or PEITC - prevented cell damage.
The substance, previously shown to cut cancer risk for smokers, stayed in the blood for days after watercress was eaten.
Researchers had not initially expected watercress to work so well against breast cancer.
They decided to test it on 12 women with the condition only after watercress solution proved effective against cancer cells in laboratory tests.
The women were each asked to eat 80g packets - the size often sold in supermarkets - and were tested over time.
“Our research takes an important step towards understanding the potential health benefits of this crop,” the Sun quoted Professor Graham Packham, who led the two-year study, as saying.
“It shows that eating watercress may interfere with a pathway that has already been tightly linked to cancer development. This is not a cure for cancer but may well help to prevent the disease.”
He added: “We need to follow this research with larger scale studies. Understanding the risk factors for cancer is a key goal and studies on diet are an important part of this.
“Relatively little work is being performed in the UK on the links between the foods we eat and cancer development.”
Watercress, which is high in vitamin C, zinc and iron, has been shown to fight infections. (ANI)
- Watercress may help fight cancer - Aug 22, 2010
- The natural 'super-smoothie' that cuts cardiac risk - May 05, 2011
- 'Selenium cuts down risk of cancer' - Jul 31, 2012
- Watercress prevents damage caused by workout: Study - Apr 27, 2012
- Weight loss increases Vitamin D in obese women - May 26, 2011
- Vitamin pill a day keeps cancer at bay! - Mar 03, 2012
- The fruit juice cocktail 'super-smoothie' that cuts heart disease risk! - May 05, 2011
- How broccoli fights cancer - Jan 27, 2011
- Broccoli extract 'effective against inflammatory bowel disease' - Jul 02, 2010
- Cancer drug can reverse heart failure - May 31, 2011
- Vitamin D 'cuts breast cancer risk by 43 pc' - Dec 12, 2010
- Nanotechnology may lead to new liver cancer treatment - Feb 23, 2011
- Broccoli may help fight Crohn's disease - Aug 27, 2010
- Vitamin pills cut breast cancer risk - Apr 20, 2010
- Normal healthy breast cells can help kill cancer cells - Apr 14, 2011
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,