Was Oz-Indian scientist first to discover recently found Earth-like planet?October 12th, 2010 - 2:23 pm ICT by ANI
Melbourne, Oct 12 (ANI): The recent discovery of ‘Earth-like’ planet caused a tizzy in the science world, but a Sydney scientist’s claims have caused a debate regarding the find.
Steven Vogt, a professor of astronomy and astrophysics at the University of California, and his colleague Paul Butler of the Carnegie Institution of Washington announced the Gliese 581g finding in a press conference held by the National Science Foundation on Sept. 29.
Following the announcement of the discovery, astronomer Ragbir Bhathal, a scientist at the University of Western Sydney, claimed to have detected a suspicious pulse of light nearly two years ago that came from the same area of the galaxy as the location of Gliese 581g, according to the U.K.’s Daily Mail online.
“Whenever there’s a clear night, I go up to the observatory and do a run on some of the celestial objects,” The Daily Telegraph quoted Bhathal as as saying.
“Looking at one of these objects, we found this signal. We found this very sharp signal, sort of a laser lookalike thing, which is the sort of thing we’re looking for - a very sharp spike. And that is what we found,” he added.
But astronomer and SETI pioneer Frank Drake told Space.com that when he asked Bhathal for details of his discovery, Bathal refused to divulge any information.
“I’m not aware of the location that was claimed for the source of that light, and [Bhathal] refused to tell me where it came from,” Drake said.
“I think it’s very unlikely that it came from the direction of Gliese 581,” he added.
While there are six planets known to orbit around the parent star, Gliese 581g is the only one in the so-called habitable zone - a region where liquid water can exist. (ANI)
- 'Earth-like' planet may not exist - Oct 14, 2010
- Chances of life on newly discovered Earth-like planet '100pc' - Sep 30, 2010
- Most habitable Earth-like planet discovered - Sep 30, 2010
- New Earth like planet found by European astronomers - Oct 04, 2010
- New Planet Discovered: Appears Appropriate For Life - Oct 01, 2010
- Earth sends 25,000 messages to aliens! - Aug 28, 2009
- Saturn moon may have aliens - Nov 24, 2011
- Most Earthlike planet yet found may have water and life - Apr 22, 2009
- Earth's value: 3,000 trillion pounds - Feb 28, 2011
- Astronomers stumble on planet going the wrong way - Jun 08, 2011
- Could city lights help locate alien civilisations? - Nov 04, 2011
- Red, green and blue colours are best to find Earth-like planets - Feb 24, 2011
- NASA finds 1,235 planets that could have extra-terrestrial lifeforms - Mar 30, 2011
- Astronomer finds planetary system larger than our own - Apr 13, 2012
- Kepler telescope finds new planetary system - Aug 27, 2010
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,