Want Poojapura Chapatis - straight from jail?November 28th, 2011 - 6:14 pm ICT by IANS
Thiruvananthapuram, Nov 28 (IANS) For the first time in Kerala, food made behind bars is about to be marketed outside and the project will make a beginning with the humble chapati priced at Rs.2 each.
Additional Director General of Police (Prisons) Alexander Jacob said this facility would be inaugurated Monday evening by Tamil actor Cheran at the Poojapura central jail here.
“We are able to provide chapati at just Rs.2 because we have cheap labour available in the prison. Today we have got the first order for 500 chapatis and it would be launched by the Tamil actor,” said Jacob, whose brainchild the project is.
Normally a chapati costs Rs.6 at eateries outside.
While prisoners will make the dough, a chapati-making machine will churn out the final product. A brand new chapati-maker has been installed in the jail at a cost of Rs.2.64 lakh.
“Right now we will market the product as Poojapura chapati. We can take orders of up to 20,000 daily because that is the installed capacity of the machine. Let us see if we need to give our chapati a brand name,” said Jacob.
“We have plans to produce bread and for that the government has to provide us funds to erect a plant for making it. We are hopeful that things will fall into place and we can compete with other similar products and get a good market because our input cost is very low,” said Jacob.
Vegetables and milk produced inside the jail are already being sold outside.
- Kerala prisons to go green - Apr 11, 2012
- Tough call: Showcasing high-art stainless steel on its 100th anniversary (With images) - Mar 09, 2012
- Diwali gift packs, with love from Tihar Jail - Oct 21, 2011
- Electrotherm launches innovative casters - May 16, 2011
- No jail is impregnable: senior Kerala cop - Jun 15, 2010
- Kobelco Cranes mulls capacity expansion - Feb 02, 2012
- Tihar security tightened, court told - Sep 14, 2011
- Himachal's fruit processing plant to be modernised - Jun 24, 2011
- Taiwanese computer firm to launch low cost tablets in India - Aug 04, 2011
- Himatsingka to foray into Indian home fabric market - Nov 09, 2010
- Zydus Cadila buys out Biochem - Dec 21, 2011
- Tamil Nadu asks mixer makers to state concerns in tender - Jun 22, 2011
- RJs now promoting Tihar's Brand TJ (Lead) - Jun 22, 2011
- Pictures of politicians, film stars removed from Kerala jails - Jun 17, 2012
- Sequels are safe option: Mahesh Bhatt - Aug 10, 2012