Vitamin D vital for successful weight loss during dietJune 12th, 2009 - 12:45 pm ICT by ANI
Washington, June 12 (ANI): Researchers have revealed that measuring vitamin D levels before the start of a low-calorie diet can help predict weight loss success.
The study suggests a possible role for vitamin D in weight loss.
“Vitamin D deficiency is associated with obesity, but it is not clear if inadequate vitamin D causes obesity or the other way around,” said the study’s lead author, Dr Shalamar Sibley, MPH, an assistant professor of medicine at the University of Minnesota.
During the study, the authors attempted to determine whether baseline vitamin D levels before calorie restriction affect subsequent weight loss.
They measured the circulating blood levels of vitamin D in 38 overweight men and women before and after the subjects followed a diet plan for 11 weeks consisting of 750 calories a day fewer than their estimated total needs.
The authors found that baseline, or pre-diet, vitamin D levels predicted weight loss in a linear relationship.
“Our results suggest the possibility that the addition of vitamin D to a reduced-calorie diet will lead to better weight loss,” said Sibley.
She cautioned, however, that more research is needed.
“Our findings,” she said, “need to be followed up by the right kind of controlled clinical trial to determine if there is a role for vitamin D supplementation in helping people lose weight when they attempt to cut back on what they eat.”
The results were presented at The Endocrine Society’s 91st Annual Meeting in Washington, D.C. (ANI)
- Appetite hormones may predict dieter's success - Sep 10, 2010
- Weight loss increases Vitamin D in obese women - May 26, 2011
- Dessert with breakfast can benefit dieters - Jun 26, 2012
- You don't have to dump potatoes to lose weight - Oct 13, 2010
- High vitamin D levels may not reduce frailty risk in older women - Dec 09, 2010
- Weight loss helps boost low testosterone levels - Jun 26, 2012
- Low-calorie, low fat diet better for your mood - Nov 16, 2009
- Proteins protect bones during weight loss dieting - Dec 01, 2011
- Low-fat diet 'puts dieters in better moods' - Nov 10, 2009
- Majority of obese teens are vitamin D deficient - Apr 28, 2011
- Low carb-diet reduces liver fat faster - Apr 17, 2011
- Diet and exercise 'more effective for weight loss when combined' - Apr 15, 2011
- Back to square one after dieting? Blame your hormones - Oct 30, 2011
- Spuds 'can be a part of weight loss programs' - Oct 12, 2010
- Chocolates may help you stay slim - Mar 27, 2012
Tags: annual meeting, assistant professor, baseline, blood levels, calorie restriction, calories, clinical trial, diet plan, endocrine society, linear relationship, low calorie diet, obesity, overweight men, reduced calorie diet, shalamar, sibley, supplementation, university of minnesota, vitamin d deficiency, weight loss success