Vitamin D deficiency linked to reduced lung functionFebruary 1st, 2011 - 6:20 pm ICT by ANI
Washington, Feb 1 (ANI): A University of Cincinnati College of Medicine study has linked Vitamin D deficiency with reduced lung function.
The research shows that vitamin D deficiency is prevalent among patients with interstitial lung disease (ILD), with the largest prevalence seen in patients with concurrent connective tissue disease (CTD).
The researchers evaluated vitamin D levels in 67 patients with CTD-ILD and 51 patients with other forms of ILD.
Results showed the overall prevalence of vitamin D deficiency and insufficiency was 38 percent and 59 percent, respectively.
Those with CTD-ILD were more likely to have vitamin D deficiency (52 percent vs 20 percent) and insufficiency (79 percent vs 31 percent) than other forms of ILD.
Among patients with CTD-ILD, reduced vitamin D levels were strongly associated with reduced lung function. Researchers conclude that vitamin D may have a role in the pathogenesis of CTD-ILD.
The study was published in the journal Chest. (ANI)
- Vitamin D deficiencies linked to onset of autoimmune lung disease - Jan 04, 2011
- Vit D insufficiency high in patients with early Parkinson disease - Mar 15, 2011
- Majority of obese teens are vitamin D deficient - Apr 28, 2011
- Vitamin D deficiency associated with lung transplant rejection - Oct 19, 2010
- Vitamin D deficiency alters lung structure and function - Jan 29, 2011
- Smoking may increase risk for lung disease - Mar 10, 2011
- Oral steroids bring on vitamin D deficiency - Sep 30, 2011
- Ray of sunshine boon for critically ill - Apr 04, 2012
- A vitamin that helps the critically ill (Lead) - Apr 04, 2012
- Low vitamin D levels linked to lower lung function in asthmatic kids - Apr 16, 2010
- Vitamin D deficiency linked to high BP, stiffer arteries - Apr 04, 2011
- Lack of vitamin D in patients with leukemia 'ups death risk' - Nov 05, 2010
- Study shows reduced Vitamin D absorption in Crohn's disease patients - Jan 19, 2011
- Lack of vitamin D 'puts IBD patients at greater risk of osteoporosis' - Oct 19, 2010
- Vitamin D is 'nature's antibiotic' - Nov 24, 2009
Tags: cincinnati college, college of medicine, connective tissue disease, interstitial lung disease, journal chest, lung function, medicine, medicine study, pathogenesis, prevalence, university of cincinnati, university of cincinnati college of medicine, vitamin d deficiency