Vitamin A pill ‘can prevent old-age related blindness in millions’October 18th, 2010 - 11:19 am ICT by ANI
London, Oct 18 (ANI): A new study has revealed that a drug based on vitamin A could prevent millions from going blind as they get older.
Researchers found that the drug fenretinide, found it halted the advance of age-related macular degeneration, for which there is currently no cure.
The condition called ‘dry’ AMD, which is caused by the deterioration and death of cells in the macula - the part of the retina used to see straight ahead. It blocks the eyesight by creating a blackspot in the centre of the person’s vision, reports the Daily Mail.
Fenretinide, which is derived from vitamin A, the vitamin found in carrots, was originally designed to tackle arthritis but the researchers found that in the highest dose, the drug halted visual deterioration after a year.
Although it can’t help already-damaged cells, fenretinide protected healthy cells.
Doctors caution that the research is preliminary, but seems promising. (ANI)
- Vitamin A pill could protect the sight of millions - Oct 18, 2010
- Drugs to treat age-related blindness - Feb 07, 2011
- Grapes can stave off age-related blindness - Jan 15, 2012
- Prosthetic retina shows promise in restoring sight - May 18, 2012
- Stem cell therapy for age-related macular degeneration may soon be a reality - Mar 25, 2011
- Novel cell therapy slows down vision loss in eye disease - Apr 08, 2011
- Eating oily fish keeps blindness at bay - Dec 02, 2010
- Near infra-red light can heal damaged vision - Apr 20, 2011
- Omega-3 in seafood may protect seniors' eyes - Dec 02, 2010
- Daily dose of nutrients could save your sight - Jul 02, 2010
- How omega-3 fatty acids keep blindness at bay - Feb 10, 2011
- It's official: Carrots do help boost vision - Jun 19, 2009
- Early AMD linked to smoking, cholesterol levels - Jun 15, 2010
- It's never too late to stub the butt and save eyesight - Dec 31, 2009
- Indian origin scientist's gene therapy shows promise in slowing AMD - Apr 30, 2011
Tags: age related macular degeneration, amd, arthritis, blackspot, blindness, carrots, cells, daily mail, deterioration, doctors, dry amd, eyesight, fenretinide, london, macula, macular degeneration, part of the retina, s vision