Virgin Galactic denies reports of problems with space tourism projectJanuary 9th, 2009 - 2:10 pm ICT by ANI
London, Jan 9 (ANI): Richard Bransons Virgin Galactic company has denied claims that one of the craft in its space tourism project is suffering difficulties with its rudder.
Branson had unveiled the Virgin Galactic White Knight 2 craft to carry space tourists in California in July last year.
According to a report in the Telegraph, Flight International has reported that White Knight Two, the mother ship, ran into trouble when making a series of ariel maneuvers.
White Knight Two is being used to carry SpaceShipTwo, the rocket which will take passengers into space.
The journal cited an unnamed source as providing the information about the supposed difficulties during the test flight at the Mohave Desert in California.
It claimed that Peter Siebold, the test pilot, was unable to keep the aircraft on the runway.
But, this was denied by Will Whitehorn, Virgin Galactics president.
There are no issues we know of at all at this stage which will affect the programme or the overall design. It is beyond ridiculous. There is no problem with the flight, he said.
It was a highly successful test flight and everything is going to plan, he added, saying that the next test flight would take place in a fortnight.
We will begin testing the Space Ship Two rocket planes in August and are optimistic that we will be flying into space with passengers by the end of the year, Whitehorn further added.
Virgin Galactic expects to start commercial space flights next year, with passengers paying 150,000 pounds for the trip. (ANI)
- Virgin Galactic Space Craft Will Make Its Debut To The Space - Oct 12, 2010
- Virgin Galactic Space Ship Two Completes Its Manned Flight Successfully - Oct 12, 2010
- Virgin space tourists could be launched by 2015 - Jun 14, 2010
- Runway at world's first commercial spaceport ready - Oct 23, 2010
- Virgin Galactic's SpaceShipTwo takes maiden flight - Mar 23, 2010
- Virgin Galactic Makes First Test Space Flight - Oct 12, 2010
- Virgin Galactic ''mothership'' to take first flight in two weeks - Dec 14, 2008
- Branson among 529 signed up for space trip - Jul 12, 2012
- Virgin Galactic's spaceship makes first solo test flight - Oct 11, 2010
- Virgin Galactic 'hiring world's first pilot-astronauts for private spacecrafts' - Apr 13, 2011
- Virgin Galactic space ship makes its first solo test flight - Oct 12, 2010
- Virgin Spacecraft's Test Flight A Complete Success - Mar 24, 2010
- Virgin Tests its Spacecraft for the First Time - Mar 24, 2010
- Richard Branson unveils first commercial spaceship - Dec 08, 2009
- Runway opens at world's first spaceport in US - Oct 23, 2010
Tags: bransons, commercial space, flight international, london jan, maneuvers, mohave desert, mother ship, project london, rocket planes, rudder, siebold, space flights, space ship, space tourism, space tourists, test flight, test pilot, tourism project, unnamed source, white knight