Varsities will be sensitised to ragging laws: President PatilMay 3rd, 2009 - 4:03 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, May 3 (IANS) President Pratibha Patil, who has voiced concern over the rising incidents of ragging, has assured the parents of 19-year-old Aman Kachru who died March 8 due to ragging by seniors in a Himachal Pradesh college that universities across the country would be sensitised about the rules on ragging.
The president gave this assurance to Rajendra Kachru, the father of Aman, and said she would write to all the governors, who are also chancellors of universities in their respective states, to sensitise the institutions on the menace, officer on special duty (OSD) at Rashtrapati Bhawan Archana Datta said.
The assurance comes days after Union Human Resource Development Minister Arjun Singh stated that the government would bring in a legislation to curb ragging on campuses.
President Patil had on April 14 expressed concern over “the rising incidents of ragging in certain institutions of higher education across the country”. She had advised students, especially the seniors, “to be more responsible in their dealings with their juniors”.
She had called upon the state governments, university and college authorities to be vigilant and strict towards offenders and “make special efforts to prevent students from resorting to acts of violence on the campuses”.
Aman Kachru had died of severe injuries he sustained after being allegedly beaten by drunk seniors during ragging at a medical college in Tanda, Himachal Pradesh.
The president’s assurance comes also in the wake of another case of ragging in Himachal Pradesh in the prestigious Lawrence School at Sanawar where seven Class 12 students have been sent home for allegedly beating up juniors after a “scuffle”.
- Four students guilty of ragging to death Aman Kachru - Nov 11, 2010
- Three students held for ragging in Himachal - Aug 04, 2011
- Four Himachal students booked for ragging - Aug 10, 2010
- Kachru ragging: Guilty get four years' jail term - Nov 11, 2010
- Ragging accused sent to judicial custody - Aug 06, 2011
- Kachru ragging: Guilty get four years' rigorous imprisonment (Second Lead) - Nov 11, 2010
- Four convicted in Aman Kachru ragged-to-death case (Lead) - Nov 11, 2010
- Two more Himachal students arrested for ragging - Aug 11, 2010
- Kachroo ragging case: Convicts may return to college - Aug 23, 2012
- Kachru ragging death: Guilty get four years' rigorous imprisonment (Roundup) - Nov 11, 2010
- Aman Kachru ragging case: Court to pronounce verdict Nov 11 - Oct 30, 2010
- Verdict in Aman Kachru's ragged-to-death case Thursday - Nov 10, 2010
- Two Himachal schoolchildren face charges under anti-ragging law - May 05, 2009
- Convicts freed early, ragging victim's father slams system - Aug 18, 2012
- Bail cancelled for Aman Kachru ragging accused - Jul 28, 2010
Tags: acts of violence, april 14, archana, arjun singh, campuses, college authorities, datta, development minister, governors, human resource development, institutions of higher education, juniors, medical college, New Delhi, osd, president pratibha patil, rashtrapati bhawan, sanawar, seniors, state governments