US to give $12 mn in aid for SyriansMarch 16th, 2012 - 4:13 am ICT by IANS
Washington, March 16 (IANS) The US has announced to provide over $12 million in humanitarian assistance to the Syrians, suffering from continued violence, through the UN and other humanitarian relief organisations.
“The United States is pursuing every avenue to get humanitarian relief into Syria and is engaged in focused diplomatic efforts to secure safe access for humanitarian organisations to reach those in need,” Xinhua quoted the US State Department as saying in a statement Thursday.
The aid will be provided to help support international and non-governmental humanitarian partners, including the UN High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR), which will receive $5.5 million, as well as the World Food Programme (WFP) and the International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC), which will both get $3 million.
Another one million dollars will be given to support the non-governmental organisations (NGO), the statement said.
According to the statement, as part of a growing international effort to rush humanitarian aid to the needy Syrians to alleviate their suffering, the US will also bolster “existing regional stockpiles of humanitarian supplies and equipment to be delivered to vulnerable and besieged Syrian communities.
In March, the UN Food and Agriculture Organisation (FAO) issued a special alert to voice serious concern over the state of food security in Syria, especially for the vulnerable groups.
According to the WFP, 1.4 million Syrians have become food insecure. It plans to provide food aid to 100,000 people affected by the civil conflict in 11 governorates in Syria.
- US announces $12 mn humanitarian aid for Syria - Apr 02, 2012
- Top UN official to visit Syria - Aug 14, 2012
- 34,000 Syrian refugees reach Lebanon: UN - Jul 29, 2012
- Three mn people in Syria in need of assistance: UN - Aug 02, 2012
- Russia says Annan's mission offers last chance to Syria - Mar 25, 2012
- EU gives flood aid to Pakistan - Oct 18, 2011
- UNSC calls on Syria to allow humanitarian access - Mar 02, 2012
- China sends special envoy to Syria - Mar 07, 2012
- Actress Angelina Jolie urges assistance for Pakistan in aftermath of monsoon floods - Sep 01, 2010
- 30,000 Syrian refugees cross into Lebanon: UN - Jul 20, 2012
- 500,000 Libyans fed by UN food organisation - Jul 06, 2011
- US gives Syrian opposition $25 mn in non-lethal aid - Aug 02, 2012
- UN calls for assistance to Ethiopia's two million drought victims - Apr 29, 2011
- UN to open Liaison office in Syria - Aug 17, 2012
- UN food agencies warn high food prices to continue - Oct 10, 2011
Tags: agriculture organisation, civil conflict, cross icrc, diplomatic efforts, food aid, humanitarian assistance, humanitarian organisations, humanitarian relief, humanitarian supplies, international committee, international effort, non governmental organisations, one million dollars, relief organisations, stockpiles, syrians, un high commissioner for refugees, us state department, wfp, world food programme