US octo-mother has TV reality show deal on horizon: Report

April 12th, 2009 - 2:06 pm ICT by IANS  

Lost Angeles, April 12 (DPA) Nadya Suleman, the US single mother of 14 children including recently-born octuplets, has four production companies bidding to create a TV reality show out of her day-to-day chaos, “Us” magazine reported Saturday.
Jeff Czech, Suleman’s lawyer, told Us that Nadya was “interested in, and hoping to find, something not so intrusive to the family and babies while, at the same time, (something to) sort of focus on trying to make a little income for herself”.

She has been criticised for accepting public assistance, which is “heavy on her mind”, Czech said.

Suleman picked up the seventh of the babies from hospital earlier this month. The octuplets were born in January.

Suleman receives free government-funded medical care because she has no health insurance, and welfare to help feed the children. But her choice to pursue large multiple births as a single mother with no income has drawn public ire over her expectation that she will receive financial support from government and private sources.

She solicits donations through her website.

Suleman, 33, had come in for widespread criticism for conceiving the octuplets through in vitro fertilisation, even though she already had six kids under the age of eight, was living at her mother’s house and had no visible means of support.

However she bought a new house earlier this month using money she received from donations as a downpayment, while a charity arranged for the babies’ care. But with the cost of care estimated at $45,000 a month, it’s unclear how long the charity will be able to pick up the tab.

Related Stories

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

Posted in Health Science |

Subscribe