US Everglades, Madagascar forests added to UNESCO’s endangered listAugust 1st, 2010 - 5:29 pm ICT by ANI
London, Aug 1 (ANI): Florida’s Everglades National Park and Madagascar’s tropical rainforest have been added to UNESCO’s list of endangered world heritage sites.
According to UNESCO’S World Heritage Committee, development in the Everglades had caused water flow to come down by 60 per cent in the wetland, a major wildlife sanctuary.
It said the high pollution there was killing marine life.
Illegal logging and poaching after the 2009 military coup has, meanwhile, imperilled Madagascar’s rainforests.
This is the second time the Everglades, home to 20 endangered species, have been added. The wetlands were first included in the risk list between 1993 and 2007 after being devastated by Hurricane Andrew.
“We commend the USA’s request to re-inscribe the site on the danger list, and its plans for major infrastructure overhaul to restore the Everglades’s fragile wetland ecosystem,” The BBC quoted Mariam Kenza Ali of the International Union for Conservation of Nature (IUCN), as saying.
The Atsinanana rainforests of Madagascar were added to the list because of the threat to the many unique species inhabiting them, especially primates and lemurs.
Tim Badman, head of World Heritage at the IUCN, said: “In adding this site to the danger list, we are calling for international action to halt illegal logging and to also ensure that no illegally logged precious woods from Madagascar enter national markets.” (ANI)
- Unesco adds 25 sites to world heritage list - Jun 29, 2011
- Galapagos Islands 'no longer endangered' - Jul 29, 2010
- IUCN to inspect Himachal national park next year - Dec 17, 2011
- Great Himalayan National Park vies for World Heritage status - Jun 13, 2012
- IUCN to inspect Great Himalayan National Park - Jul 18, 2011
- 100 threatened animals, plants face extinction by 2020 - Sep 11, 2012
- Report: 88 percent of logging in Indonesia is illegal - Jun 23, 2011
- China fossil site in World Heritage list - Jul 02, 2012
- Manas sanctuary no longer a world heritage site 'in danger' - Jun 22, 2011
- Islamists attack Timbuktu world heritage site - Jul 01, 2012
- Unesco adds nine properties into world heritage list - Jun 28, 2011
- New mongoose-like species found in Madagascar - Oct 12, 2010
- Unesco to add Bethlehem to World's Heritage List - Jun 30, 2012
- Madagascar Bird Extinct - May 27, 2010
- Madagascar bird declared extinct - Jun 20, 2010
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,