US billionaire becomes first space tourist to visit International Space Station twiceMarch 27th, 2009 - 12:23 pm ICT by ANI
London, March 27 (ANI): US billionaire Charles Simonyi has become the first space tourist to make a trip to the International Space Station (ISS) twice.
According to a report by BBC News, Simonyi, aged 60, was part of the three-member crew aboard a Russian Soyuz rocket that blasted off from Kazakhstan’s Baikonur cosmodrome.
The software tycoon, who has paid 35 million dollars (24 million pounds) for his trip, will be the last tourist for the foreseeable future.
During his 13-day mission, he will help with research projects and take part in live broadcasts with schools.
Expedition 19 to the ISS, which also includes Russian cosmonaut Gennady Padalka and US astronaut Michael Barratt, lifted off on schedule at Baikonur.
Simonyi, along with Padalka and Barratt will form part of a new six-member crew aboard the ISS.
Until now, only three astronauts lived on the station at any one time.
Doubling the number will allow more scientific research to be carried out, but it will also mean there will be less room for visitors.
According to Simonyi, the 35 million dollars he had paid for the flight was his contribution to the exploration of space. (ANI)
- New space station crew in orbit - May 15, 2012
- Sunita Williams arrives at her new home in space - Jul 17, 2012
- Three ISS crew to return to earth - Mar 29, 2012
- Russian freighter docks with ISS - Apr 23, 2012
- Russian space agency names next crew to ISS - Oct 25, 2011
- Space station crew lands in Kazakhstan - Apr 27, 2012
- Soyuz's re-entry capsule lands safely in Kazakhstan - Oct 11, 2009
- Russia confirms new crew members for ISS - Apr 26, 2012
- Italy to launch woman astronaut in 2014 - Jul 04, 2012
- Russia launches space freighter - Oct 31, 2011
- Russia's ISS crew members complete spacewalk (Lead) - Aug 21, 2012
- US, Russian astronauts arrive at space station - Jun 18, 2010
- Sunita Williams takes off on her second space odyssey - Jul 15, 2012
- Russian cargo spaceship docks with ISS - Apr 29, 2011
- Russian spacecraft undocks from ISS - Nov 22, 2011
Tags: astronaut, astronauts, baikonur cosmodrome, bbc, billionaire, charles simonyi, cosmonaut gennady padalka, exploration of space, foreseeable future, international space station, live broadcasts, london march, member crew, michael barratt, million dollars, research projects, russian cosmonaut, russian soyuz rocket, software tycoon, space tourist