US army robots may wage a war against the entire world, warn officialsFebruary 23rd, 2009 - 2:04 pm ICT by ANI
London, Feb 23 (ANI): Echoing the scenario in the new blockbuster movie Terminator Salvation, officials at US Navy have warned that the killer robots being built to fight terrorists may even take over the world.
The film shows John Connor, played by Christian Bale, leading humanity in a fight with an army of Terminators controlled by the robotic Skynet.
US Navys secretive Office of Naval Research has said that real-life robot soldiers will soon be capable of making their own battlefield decisions.
The US Army possesses many sophisticated military robots, one of which is SWORDS Special Weapons Observation Reconnaissance Detection System used in Afghanistan and Iraq.
SWORD can be equipped with machine guns, grenade launchers, and anti-tank rockets.
The SGR-A1 sentry robot, is another deadly droid, which has been programmed to shoot its machine gun at anyone entering the demilitarised zone between South and North Korea.
The SGR-A1 has infrared sensors that can spot targets up to 2.5 miles away.
Mounting machine guns on automated robots takes humans out of the decision loop, the Daily Star quoted Robotics expert Mike Adams as saying.
He added: “Theres no question these types of robots will eventually be used to commit atrocities against humankind. (ANI)
- 'Terminator Salvation' an edge-of-seat watch (IANS Review - Rating ***) - Jun 26, 2009
- 'Terminator Salvation' plot revealed - Dec 14, 2008
- Linda Hamilton disappointed with 'Terminator Salvation' - Feb 05, 2010
- UAE strengthens measures to curb illegal arms trade - Jun 08, 2010
- Christian Bale applies for U.S. citizenship? - Apr 04, 2010
- Indian Army to hold summer exercise in Rajasthan desert - Feb 26, 2012
- Christian Bale seeking US citizenship? - Apr 04, 2010
- Tough days ahead for new Indian Army chief (News Analysis) - May 31, 2012
- Indo-Pak talks on Siachen, Sir Creek issues on April 22 - Apr 03, 2011
- Now come robots that can trick and deceive - Sep 10, 2010
- Robots to rescue injured soldiers in the future - Feb 28, 2010
- Christian Bale forced writers to re-do 'Terminator Salvation' script - May 12, 2009
- India, Pakistan talks on Siachen end - Jun 12, 2012
- Bale squeezed writers for lead role in 'Terminator Salvation' - May 12, 2009
- Anti-tank rifle seized from Russian man's home - Aug 03, 2012
Tags: blockbuster, christian bale, daily star, decision loop, demilitarised zone, droid, grenade launchers, infrared sensors, john connor, killer robots, london feb, machine guns, military robots, north korea, office of naval research, sentry, sgr, special weapons observation reconnaissance detection, special weapons observation reconnaissance detection sy, terminators