UN urges Bangladesh to allow aid to Myanmar refugeesAugust 8th, 2012 - 6:07 am ICT by IANS
United Nations, Aug 8 (IANS) The UN Refugee Agency is calling upon Bangladesh to allow provision of humanitarian assistance to Myanmar refugees who have entered its territory, Xinhua quoted a UN spokesperson as saying here Tuesday.
“The UN Refugee Agency is appealing to the government of Bangladesh to ensure that assistance from non-governmental organisations continues to be provided to some 40,000 unregistered people who have fled Myanmar’s Rakhine state,” said Martin Nesirky, spokesperson for UN Secretary-general Ban Ki-moon, at a daily briefing.
“The agency is urging the government of Bangladesh to reconsider its decision in line with its long tradition of hospitality towards people who fled Myanmar over the years,” he said.
Violence broke out between ethnic Rakhine Buddhists and Rohingya Muslims in the Rakhine state of northern Myanmar after a Buddhist woman was raped and murdered May 28.
Since then, thousands of Rohingya Muslims have been fleeing into neighbouring Bangladesh to escape violence.
Last week, Bangladeshi authorities ordered three non-governmental organisations to stop their activities in and around unofficial refugee camps in southeast Bangladesh.
- 25 Myanmarese Muslims seek refuge in Hyderabad - Jul 31, 2012
- UN chief hails Myanmar panel to probe violence - Aug 18, 2012
- Pakistani Taliban threatens Myanmar over Muslim attacks - Jul 26, 2012
- 80,000 displaced in Myanmar unrest - Jul 28, 2012
- At least 78 killed in western Myanmar clashes - UN - Jul 29, 2012
- Myanmar president postpones Bangladesh visit - Jul 02, 2012
- Hasina warns of possible terrorist threat from Mynmarese refugees - Jul 29, 2012
- Hundreds of Myanmar nationals seek refugee status (With Images) - Apr 21, 2012
- Myanmar's persecuted Rohingyas starve in Bangladesh - Mar 30, 2010
- Myanmar president to visit Bangladesh - Jun 25, 2012
- Pakistan concerned over Muslim deaths in Myanmar - Aug 07, 2012
- MSF plans emergency healthcare in Bangladesh camps - Jun 11, 2009
- UN aid workers detained in Myanmar - Jul 07, 2012
- US to give $12 mn in aid for Syrians - Mar 16, 2012
- UN chief deeply concerned over situation in Sudan - Jun 16, 2011
Tags: ban ki moon, buddhist woman, buddhists, government of bangladesh, hospitality, humanitarian assistance, muslims, non governmental organisations, northern myanmar, provision, rakhine state, refugee agency, refugee camps, refugees, rohingya, spokesperson, un secretary general, united nations, violence, xinhua