UN committed to end suffering in Horn of AfricaAugust 26th, 2011 - 9:06 am ICT by IANS
Addis Ababa (Ethiopia), Aug 26 (IANS) The UN has assured African countries that it is committed to work with them to end the suffering, currently gripping the Horn of Africa, following the ongoing drought and famine.
The Horn of Africa includes Eritrea, Ethiopia, Somalia, Djibouti countries of north Africa.
Representing Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon at a special African Union summit for pledging funds to support relief efforts, Deputy Secretary-General Asha-Rose Migiro said Secretary-General Ban has mobilised the UN system to join forces in responding to this critical situation.
“I am here on his behalf to pledge our continued full support,” he said.
The African Union called the special summit Thursday in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia to raise funding from all UN Member States, non-government organisations and private sector firms to ease the suffering of the millions of people affected by the drought and famine in the Horn of Africa.
The summit raised over $350 million in cash and $28.8 million in cheque, which the chairperson of the African Union commission Jean Ping described as a remarkable achievement.
- India pledges $8 mn to famine-stricken Horn of Africa - Sep 14, 2011
- IMF to help drought-hit Horn of Africa - Aug 25, 2011
- As China-built AU centre opens, India focuses on quiet Africa diplomacy (With images) - Jan 30, 2012
- UN warns famine could spread in Somalia without international aid - Aug 02, 2011
- Eritrea backs India for UN Security Council seat - Jun 08, 2011
- UN chief briefs UAE on Somalia crisis - Jul 29, 2011
- UAE to launch campaign for Horn of Africa's drought-hit - Aug 17, 2011
- Food crisis looms in Africa's Sahel region - Jan 31, 2012
- Drought threatens 2 mn kids in Horn of Africa: UN - Jul 09, 2011
- India unveils $5 bn Africa surge, rejects race with China (Second Lead) - May 24, 2011
- India asks Africa to fight piracy, backs its democratic upsurge - May 26, 2011
- India announces $5 bn aid for Africa, seeks support for UN reforms - May 24, 2011
- UN urges Sudan, South Sudan to resolve issues - Jan 30, 2012
- PM lands in Addis Ababa - May 23, 2011
- Ahead of summit, India backs Africa for UN seat - May 17, 2011
Tags: addis ababa ethiopia, african countries, asha rose migiro, ban ki moon, chairperson, cheque, critical situation, deputy secretary general, djibouti, drought, famine, horn of africa, member states, non government organisations, north africa, pledge, private sector firms, relief efforts, remarkable achievement, union summit