Ukrainian city ponders using wine to deport pigeonsJuly 24th, 2012 - 12:18 pm ICT by IANS
Moscow, July 24 (IANS/RIA Novosti) A Ukranian city is contemplating a plan to get the local pigeons drunk and then deport them so that a popular poet’s statue could be protected from their droppings, according to a news website.
The radical measure has been proposed to prevent a monument of poet Taras Shevchenko in Sumy city from being covered in bird droppings ahead of the City Day, reported Obkom.com.ua.
“Let’s give them wine-soaked bread and then deport them somewhere where they’ll wake up the next day,” Alexei Movchan, who heads the city branch of the ruling Party of Regions, was cited as saying about the pigeons.
He dismissed allegations of animal cruelty by saying that deportation of inebriated birds is practiced in the Holy Dormition Pochayiv Lavra, an Orthodox Christian monastery in the country’s west.
It remained immediately unclear whether the city finally adopted the plan or not. Sumy celebrates City Day Sep 2.
- 14 Russian pilgrims killed in Ukraine bus crash - Jul 07, 2012
- Vandal caught spraypainting Russian cathedral - Apr 18, 2012
- Mother throws crying baby from 14th floor - Mar 03, 2012
- Man dumps 1 kg gold bar in charity box - Feb 11, 2012
- Syrians held in Russia for poaching rare birds - Aug 09, 2012
- Russian teen survives fall from 9th floor - Oct 30, 2011
- Russian church urges Kremlin not to ignore vote protests - Jan 08, 2012
- Russia scraps outdated tanks, armoured vehicles - Mar 24, 2012
- Set pieces crucial to beating England: Shevchenko - Jun 16, 2012
- Plane makes emergency landing in Russia - Jul 04, 2011
- Man steals truckload of vodka in Russia - Jan 19, 2012
- Nine killed in Afghan Quran burning protests - Apr 03, 2011
- Russian government wants elderly to work beyond retirement - Jun 22, 2012
- US calls on citizens to leave Syria - Aug 06, 2011
- Russian cop fined 200 times the bribe taken - Feb 02, 2012
Tags: allegations, animal cruelty, bird droppings, birds, christian monastery, deportation, moscow, pigeons, poet, ponders, ria novosti, ruling party, taras shevchenko, tb, ukrainian city, ukranian city, wine