Ukraine minister calls for end to stray animals’ killingNovember 18th, 2011 - 12:28 pm ICT by IANS
Kiev, Nov 18 (IANS) A Ukraine minister has called for an end to stray animals’ killing ahead of the Euro 2012 Soccer Championship.
Stray animals, especially dogs, are a big problem in Ukraine. It is estimated that nearly 30,000 dogs run loose in Kiev while hundreds of thousands of others roam around the country, Xinhua reported.
“Instead of cruelty to animals, I urge the city councils of regional centres to provide land for shelters. The Ministry for its part is ready to consider participation in their construction,” said Mykola Zlochevsky, Minister for Environment and Natural Resources.
Zlochevsky, who met with representatives of the British environmental organisation “Naturewatch,” said his ministry was negotiating with authorities in big cities to build modern shelters to house the strays.
Hundreds of stray dogs have been killed in Ukraine since January.
Activists accuse authorities of using inhumane methods of killing the animals, including poisoning and burning.
- Ukraine to build shelters for stray dogs - Nov 04, 2011
- Ready for Euro 2012: Polish PM - Mar 23, 2012
- Ukraine to build rehab for alcoholic bears - Aug 04, 2011
- Moscow to spend $76 million on stray dogs - Oct 05, 2011
- UEFA pleased with Euro 2012 preparations, says Ukraine - Nov 22, 2011
- The politics of dogs - from Chandigarh to the northeast (Punjab Newsletter) - Jul 07, 2012
- Hundred dog bites a day and counting in Srinagar - Apr 11, 2012
- Ukraine's cold wave toll reaches 100 - Feb 03, 2012
- Ban on smoking and tobacco ads at Euro 2012 - Oct 21, 2011
- Srinagar's 'dogged' problem giving nightmares - Feb 13, 2011
- Bangalore's dogs have hundreds signing up in support - Nov 03, 2010
- Police prevent novel anti-stray dogs protest in Srinagar - Jul 11, 2012
- World War II shell found near Euro stadium in Ukraine - Jun 08, 2012
- Rabies deaths rattle Andhra - Jun 04, 2011
- Ukraine's Euro 2012 preparations enter home stretch: President - May 31, 2012
Tags: activists, authorities, city councils, cruelty to animals, environmental organisation, euro 2012, hundreds of thousands, kiev, natural resources, naturewatch, participation, regional centres, soccer championship, stray animals, stray dogs, strays, ukraine, xinhua