UK breweries to hike beer prices soonSeptember 14th, 2008 - 6:49 pm ICT by ANI
London, Sept 14 (ANI): Beer lovers in the UK will soon have to pay a little more for the drink, as breweries have decided to hike the prices for the second time this year, bringing to the market (for the first time) to four pounds a pint (one-eighth of a gallon).
The companies blame the impending hike in beer process on an unprecedented rise in the price of materials such as gas, fuel, malt and sugar for the decision to push up the price tag of lager, bitter and ale.
Draught and bottled Stella Artois, Beck’’s and Tennent’’s lager, all owned by brewery InBev, will go up by about three founds a pint tomorrow, while in two weeks” time Carling and Grolsch drinkers will also see three pounds added to a pint, reported the Guardian.
Tetley’’s bitter will follow in the first week of October, while Marston’’s, the Wolverhampton-based brewery behind Pedigree bitter, is adding 10 pounds to a pint. We have done everything possible to limit the price increase, but there have been unprecedented levels of increases in raw materials in recent months, the paper quoted Stephen Oliver, managing director of Marston’’s Beer Company, as saying.
According to the paper, the price of barley and metal, used for making cans, has gone up by more than 50 per cent in the past two years, while the company’’s energy costs have soared by more than 150 per cent in some cases.
In London and south-east England , drinkers face significantly higher prices. The current wave of price increases means PS4 a pint will be far more commonplace this year, said a spokesman for the British Beer and Pub Association. (ANI)
- Budweiser launched in north India - Aug 26, 2009
- Belgian beers to enter Indian market in 2008 - Aug 02, 2008
- Soon, liquid biofuels to be produced from brewery waste - Feb 28, 2011
- Indie music in India can beef up on Heineken beer - Nov 08, 2011
- 1 in 6 Brits has sworn off alcohol - Jan 28, 2011
- South African brewers launch "military operation" to avert World Cup beer crisis! - May 31, 2010
- Brit girls as young as 11 are binge drinking as much as boys - Jan 29, 2011
- Kingfisher was official beer at New York tennis tourney - Jul 27, 2012
- 'Chilled beer reception' planned for Brit soldiers returning from Afghanistan - Sep 07, 2009
- Dogfish Head Brewery founder Sam Calagione to star in 'Brew Masters' - Nov 22, 2010
- 'Breakfast Beer' set to be launched in NZ horrifies alcohol watchdogs - Apr 04, 2011
- United Breweries launches locally brewed Heineken beer - Sep 13, 2011
- Brazil fines AmBev $176 mn for anti-competitive practices - Jul 23, 2009
- No takers for world's first gay beer - Feb 20, 2011
- The beer hug: Bihar emerging as brewery hub - Jan 16, 2012
Tags: beer company, beer lovers, beer prices, beer process, british beer, carling, draught, energy costs, gas fuel, grolsch, inbev, price increases, south east england, stella artois, stephen oliver, tennent, tetley, uk breweries, unprecedented levels, unprecedented rise