UK astronaut five others prepare for Nasa space launchFebruary 7th, 2010 - 6:22 pm ICT by ANI
Miami (US), Feb.7 (ANI): British astronaut Nicholas Patrick and five colleagues are preparing to launch themselves into space today with the help of NASA.They will travel in the Space Shuttle Endeavour, and have reportedly brushed up on mission procedures and exerciseat Florida’s Kennedy Space Centre, reports The Telegraph.
Dr. Patrick, a former Harrow schoolboy and Cambridge graduate, will spend 13 days in orbit, undertaking three perilous spacewalks to bring construction of the 100 billion dollar ISS close to completion with the attachment of the Tranquility crew module.
Circling Earth at 17,500mph, Dr Patrick and fellow spacewalker Robert Behnken will attach a new 15-ton crew module, Tranquility, and a multi-windowed observation chamber, known as a cupola, to the ISS to give astronauts their first 360-degree window on the world.
Mission STS-130 will be the first in a series of five final flights scheduled for Nasa’s space shuttle fleet.
Plans for a new generation of spacecraft to succeed the shuttle and take astronauts on missions to the moon, Mars and beyond have been thrown into disarray by President Barack Obama’s announcement last Monday that he plans to scrap America’s present human spaceflight programme, despite nine billion dollars having already been spent on it.
His proposal to hand the private sector responsibility for building the next generation of spacecraft to run astronauts and cargo back and forth to the space station, and send Nasa’s long-haul exploration goals back to the drawing board, has cast gloom over the Nasa workforce, which now faces vast job cuts. (ANI)
- Spacewalkers outfit new space station room - Feb 14, 2010
- Space shuttle Endeavour returns to Earth - Feb 22, 2010
- NASA's space shuttle Endeavour launched - Feb 08, 2010
- Shuttle Endeavour to undock from ISS Saturday - Feb 19, 2010
- Space station opens to Tranquility and its picture window - Feb 13, 2010
- NASA invites public to tweet their way into space - Feb 06, 2010
- Space shuttle Endeavour returns to Earth after final mission - Jun 01, 2011
- Endeavour heads for space station with new picture window (Lead) - Feb 08, 2010
- Sunita Williams arrives at her new home in space - Jul 17, 2012
- President Obama to meet NASA's Endeavour crew - Apr 23, 2010
- Russian spacecraft undocks from ISS - Nov 22, 2011
- Russia's manned spacecraft docks with ISS - Dec 24, 2011
- Space shuttle Discovery lands on Earth after final mission - Mar 10, 2011
- Astronauts open seven eyelids on International Space Station - Feb 18, 2010
- Shuttle Discovery heads to International Space Station on its final mission - Feb 25, 2011
Tags: barack obama, british astronaut, cambridge graduate, crew module, cupola, dr patrick, drawing board, fleet plans, kennedy space centre, mission sts, missions to the moon, nasa space, nasa workforce, space launch, space shuttle endeavour, space shuttle fleet, spacewalker, spacewalks, us feb, window on the world