Ugg boots ‘can cause fungal infections’January 11th, 2011 - 2:42 pm ICT by ANI
New York, Jan 11 (ANI): Uggs-the trendy, flat-booted suede boots which are popular among celebs and comfort-craving pedestrians-can increase your chances of getting fungal, infection especially if you wear them without socks.
A fungal infection can result from any shoe that doesn’t “breathe,” said Mitchell Greenbaum, chief of podiatry at St. Francis Hospital.
“There are a lot of boots that create warmth but make your feet sweat,” she said. And, without socks, there’s nothing to absorb the sweat.
“It can definitely be a breeding ground for fungus,” the New York Daily News quoted Greenbaum as saying.
Meanwhile, Olivier Zong, of surgery at NYC Footcare, told Fashionista.com, “Fungus breeds in dark, wet environments — conditions that are usually seen inside trendy sheepskin boots.”
Gregg Cohen, attending physician at Long Island College Hospital, said that if you notice redness, scaling, itching in the feet, skin changes such as blisters, and cracks between the toes then something is wrong.
Wearing socks, airing out the feet periodically by removing the sheepskin boots, and using a powder on your feet to keep them dry can all lessen the risk of a fungal infection, added Cohen. (ANI)
- Ugg-style boots could cripple women - Jan 10, 2009
- Nine outfits and accessories women love, but men hate - Jun 03, 2010
- Fashion Statement: High Heels Are Back! - Dec 01, 2010
- Here's how to wear jeggings if you're curvy, short - Dec 04, 2010
- Pregnant women should avoid wearing high heels, say experts - Jun 15, 2010
- How to Choose the Right Winter Boots - Dec 09, 2010
- Swiss Soldiers Given High Tech Military Socks - May 09, 2010
- Blue suede shoes? Clean and keep them right (Lead) - Mar 09, 2011
- Kids Footwear Available Now At Viva La Diva - Oct 08, 2010
- Baker's yeast protects against fatal diseases - Aug 10, 2011
- Victoria refuses to wear tracksuits - Mar 06, 2012
- Blue suede shoes? Here's how to preserve them - Mar 09, 2011
- Study suggests roadmap to tackle disease wiping out hibernating bats - Feb 04, 2011
- Deadly Airborne fungus affects people with healthy immune system - Apr 24, 2010
- Experts sound alarm on diabetic foot - Apr 11, 2010
Tags: blisters, breeding ground, celebs, footcare, fungal infection, fungal infections, fungus, greenbaum, new york daily news, pedestrians, podiatry, sheepskin boots, skin changes, st francis hospital, suede boots, ugg boots, uggs, wet environments, york daily news, zong