Type 2 diabetes, insulin use linked to colorectal cancer in menOctober 19th, 2010 - 4:53 pm ICT by ANI
Washington, Oct 19 (ANI): A new study has revealed that type 2 diabetes mellitus is associated with colorectal cancer (CRC) among men.
Hyperglycemia and hyperinsulinemia, which are especially pronounced during the early stages of type 2 diabetes, have been proposed as mediators for the association between CRC and type 2 diabetes.
Although it is known that type 2 diabetes is associated with an increased risk of CRC, it is not clear if this association varies by gender or other factors.
“While our study supports an association of type 2 diabetes with colorectal cancer incidence among men, our results also suggest that insulin use is associated with a slight, but not a substantially increased, risk of colorectal cancer among men with type 2 diabetes,” said Peter T. Campbell, lead author of this study.
“Prevention strategies should emphasize adherence to guidelines intended for the general population such as smoking cessation, weight management, exercise and regular early detection exams,” the author said.
Among men, type 2 diabetes was associated with increased risk of incident CRC compared to not having type 2 diabetes. CRC risk was higher for those participants with type 2 diabetes regardless of whether or not they used insulin.
Among women, type 2 diabetes and insulin use were not associated with CRC risk.
The study appears in Gastroenterology, the official journal of the American Gastroenterological Association (AGA) Institute. (ANI)
- Experts review link between diabetes and cancer - Jun 17, 2010
- FDA approves personalized therapy for tough-to-treat colorectal cancer - Jul 26, 2012
- Older women with diabetes at higher colon cancer risk - May 03, 2010
- Body fat distribution linked to a higher risk of ER-negative breast cancer - Dec 16, 2010
- Avoiding or controlling diabetes may cut cancer risk, mortality - Apr 04, 2011
- Low testosterone raises risk of diabetes - May 04, 2012
- Here come smart insulin pumps for diabetic kids - Apr 12, 2012
- Inhaled corticosteroids may increase diabetes risk - Dec 15, 2010
- Colorectal cancer affecting India's fight against cancer - Feb 18, 2012
- Diabetes 'raises cancer risk in women' - Jun 11, 2010
- Diabetes increases risk of cancer, say experts - Jun 17, 2010
- Type 2 diabetes increases risk of 24 cancers - May 22, 2010
- Blood test may predict diabetes risk 10 yrs before first symptoms - Mar 21, 2011
- Statin use may cut risk of colorectal cancer - Oct 19, 2010
- Study examines aspirin's ability to protect against colorectal cancer - Mar 10, 2011
Tags: adherence, aga, american gastroenterological association, campbell lead, cancer incidence, colorectal, crc, diabetes, diabetes insulin, exercise, hyperglycemia, hyperinsulinemia, mediators, participants, population, prevention strategies, smoking cessation, type 2 diabetes, type 2 diabetes mellitus, weight management