Tying the knot after 20 years of ‘living in’February 27th, 2012 - 8:29 pm ICT by IANS
Bhopal, Feb 27 (IANS) After a two-decade “live in” relationship, two senior citizens in Madhya Pradesh’s Chattarpur district finally got married last week
Natthu Saudagar, 78, and Meera Vishwakarma, 60, got married according to Islamic rites in Isha Nagar locality of Chattarpur, over 300 km from here. Meera embraced Islam to marry Natthu, a Muslim. She took the name Shabina upon conversion.
Significantly, when the “Nikah” was being performed Friday (Feb 24), Natthu’s first wife was present.
“Natthu and Meera used to live in Gaharwar village that is situated near Isha Nagar. After the death of Meera’s husband several years back, it was Natthu who had supported her and stood by her in every situation,” Boby Mitra, a resident of Isha Nagar, told IANS.
“However, their families did not accept and opposed them. But both remained close. Finally, both were ostracised from society and they shifted to Isha Nagar. There, they remained in a live-in relationship for 20 years,” Mitra added.
“Natthu has six children from his first wife and a dozen grandsons while Meera has a son from her first husband. One of Natthu’s grandsons recently got married,” Ashish Agrawal, another resident of Isha Nagar, told IANS.
Ashish, a photographer took pictures of the marriage.
“The children from their first marriage had nothing to do with them, while Natthu’s first wife had no objection,” he added.
- Japanese weds Islamic style in Bihar - Mar 02, 2011
- Codify Muslim personal law: Islamic scholars, activists - Feb 05, 2012
- Delhi cop arrested for cheating woman - Jul 30, 2012
- Sania to wed Shoaib today, to be his second wife (Lead) - Apr 09, 2010
- Sania, Shoaib get police nod to wed (Lead) - Apr 12, 2010
- Muslim man told his divorce joke to wife on Skype stands - Oct 30, 2010
- Paralysed man kills wife and son - Feb 03, 2012
- Double murder: Slain woman's lover detained (Lead) - Feb 04, 2012
- Newly-wed woman commits suicide in Delhi - Apr 26, 2012
- Mullahs frown at Sania-Shoaib pre-marriage 'proximity' - Apr 09, 2010
- Sania, Shoaib are now husband and wife (Third Lead) - Apr 12, 2010
- IAF group captain held over suicide of sacked woman officer - Sep 12, 2011
- 'Mehr' for Ayesha Rs.500, for Sania Rs.61 lakh - Apr 12, 2010
- Ceremonies begin at Sania Mirza's house - Apr 13, 2010
- Man murdered for harassing newly-wed woman - Jul 14, 2012
Tags: bhopal, boby, conversion, decade, first wife, grandsons, islam, islamic rites, locality, madhya pradesh, marriage, meera, muslim, nikah, objection, photographer, saudagar, senior citizens, shabina, tying the knot