Two of octuplet babies come home amid mayhemMarch 19th, 2009 - 11:56 am ICT by IANS
Los Angeles, March 19 (DPA) Two of the octuplets born in January to single mother Nadya Suleman were enjoying their first day at home Wednesday, hours after a raucous reception from paparazzi might have made the hospital seem calm.
The photographers and other onlookers clung to Suleman’s vehicle as it drove up to the suburban Los Angeles home through a throng of hundreds awaiting the arrival of the celebrity babies and their controversial mother.
“I was really, really worried about their safety,” Suleman told Radar Online.
Photographers “were swerving and just getting out of their cars at every stoplight, and knocking on the windshields with their cameras. It didn’t make sense to me.”
But once inside the new house, the atmosphere was quiet and peaceful as a charity-funded staff of nurses had everything prepared.
“The nurses had everything ready,” said Gloria Allred, attorney to the nonprofit neonatal care group Angels in Waiting, which is providing critical care to the octuplets as they gradually make their way to their new home.
“Everything was ready when Nadya came in and they were able to feed the babies and rock the babies and really love the babies,” Allred said on the Today show Wednesday.
Suleman, 33, had come in for widespread criticism for conceiving the octuplets through in vitro fertilisation, even though she already had six kids under the age of eight, was living at her mother’s house and had no visible means of support.
However she bought a new house earlier this month using money she received from donations as a down payment, while the charity arranged for the babies’ care. But with the cost of care estimated at $45,000 a month, it’s unclear how long the charity will be able to pick up the tab.
“We’re hoping that everybody will donate and help to make sure that these little babies, these little innocent ones, get the kind of supportive care that they need, because the consequences of the rest of their lives are going to be decided right now,” Allred said.
- Octomom Nadya Suleman to sell bikini, bra to feed her 14 kids - Sep 26, 2010
- 'Octomom' Nadya Suleman To Appear In "Oprah Winfrey Show" - Apr 15, 2010
- Octomom To Come Into Sight On The Show Of Oprah Winfrey - Apr 15, 2010
- US octo-mother has TV reality show deal on horizon: Report - Apr 12, 2009
- Nadya Suleman Reveals All To Oprah Winfrey - Apr 21, 2010
- Mexican woman pregnant with nine babies - Apr 27, 2012
- Octomom Nadya Suleman 'had 12 embryos implanted' - Oct 19, 2010
- Octomom Of America, Nadya Suleman, Voices To Oprah Winfrey That She Was A Baby Addict - Jan 17, 2011
- Nadya Suleman To Do A Porn Movie? - Sep 19, 2010
- Mexican woman with nine babies a fraud, say doctors - May 01, 2012
- Fertility doc says Octomom agreed to be "human guinea pig" in study - Nov 20, 2010
- Octomom faces probe by social workers for filming baby fetish video - Jan 21, 2011
- Octuplet grandma in US blasts daughter - Feb 10, 2009
- Octomum doesn't care about her kids, says ex-nanny - Mar 26, 2009
- Octomom Nadya Suleman on brink of losing home - Sep 17, 2010
Tags: care group, celebrity babies, critical care, fertilisation, gloria allred attorney, innocent ones, little babies, march 19, neonatal care, octuplets, onlookers, radar online, single mother, stoplight, suburban los angeles, supportive care, throng, visible means of support, vitro, windshields