Two more polio cases detected in PakistanJune 3rd, 2008 - 2:36 pm ICT by IANS
Islamabad, June 3 (IANS) Two more polio cases have been detected in Pakistan, taking to 11 the number of children afflicted by the virus this year. One fresh case has been detected in the southern port city of Karachi and the other in Kohat in the North West Frontier Province (NWFP).
Dawn Tuesday quoted the national manager of the Expanded Programme on Immunisation (EPI), H.B. Memon as saying that the authorities in Karachi had Monday confirmed the Kohat case.
The 26-month-old girl has no history of routine immunisation but had received at least 15 oral polio drops so far, Memon said.
The Karachi case involves a seven-month-old old boy who has not received any routine immunisation dose or oral drops at all.
Sindh EPI manager Mazhar Khamesani said he had been informed by his field staff that the affected child belonged to a family that had come to Karachi from Waziristan.
According to Memon, a nationwide polio immunisation campaign would be conducted on June 10.
- Faltering on polio, Pakistan looks at India lesson - Mar 02, 2012
- A year of no polio: India triumphs, but risks remains - Jan 11, 2012
- A year of no polio: India triumphs, but risks remains (Lead) - Jan 11, 2012
- 21 mn Pakistani children to get anti-polio drops - Jan 20, 2010
- A million Pakistani kids to get anti-polio drops - Jul 16, 2012
- 27 kids die of measles in Sindh: WHO - Jun 03, 2012
- New polio cases in Pakistan alarms WHO - Jun 10, 2012
- 'Ensure regular vaccination to make India polio free' - Feb 23, 2012
- West Bengal polio case false alarm, says health ministry - Mar 30, 2012
- Community mobilisers inch closer towards making India polio-free - Jan 31, 2011
- Families refuse polio drops in Bihar - Sep 21, 2011
- Over 17 crore kids get polio vaccine - Feb 19, 2012
- President Patil launches 2011 'Pulse Polio' campaign - Jan 22, 2011
- Polio under control but India aims at eradication: Azad - Oct 23, 2011
- WHO lauds India's year without polio (Lead) - Jan 13, 2012
Tags: authorities, dawn, field staff, frontier province, immunisation campaign, june 3, karachi, kohat, memon, north west frontier, nwfp, old girl, oral polio, pakistan islamabad, polio, polio cases, southern port city, virus, year one