Two kids dead, 100 ill as mystery fever grips Uttar Pradesh villageAugust 10th, 2008 - 6:21 pm ICT by IANS
Lucknow, Aug 10 (IANS) Two children have died and nearly 100 have fallen ill as an as-yet-unidentified decease has gripped a village in Kanpur rural district of Uttar Pradesh, officials said Sunday. The “mysterious” disease came to light when district magistrate Rama Shanker Sahu Saturday visited a village in the Gajner block of the rural suburbs of the district, about 100 km from here.
“Two children died of some disease and nearly 100 people are ill. Besides suspending the lekhpal, two other health workers have been suspended,” Sahu told reporters.
A lekhpal keeps revenue records of a village and is the administration’s representative.
Lekhpal Arvind was suspended as he did not inform authorities about the deaths and the disease, he added.
Besides water-logging, a majority of the hand pumps in the village were found dysfunctional.
A medical team accompanying the officials also suspected water-logging to be the reason behind the disease.
“It may be a viral fever, but chances of Japanese encephalitis cannot be ruled out,” a member of a team led by the chief medical officer of the district said, decling to be named.
Administrative and medical teams were camping in the village while a team of experts was also rushed there.
- Two more kids die of encephalitis in Bihar, toll 85 - Nov 17, 2011
- Encephalitis kills 3 kids in Bihar, toll at 92 - Dec 08, 2011
- Japanese encephalitis returns to kill 300 in Uttar Pradesh - Sep 25, 2011
- Suspected brain disease kills five in Bihar - Sep 10, 2011
- Suspected brain disease kills five children - Sep 20, 2011
- Suspected brain disease kills 51 kids in Bihar - Oct 01, 2011
- 19 children dead in Bihar, encephalitis suspected - Sep 12, 2011
- Bihar: Suspected brain disease kills 54 children - Oct 03, 2011
- Bihar: Suspected encephalitis kills six more - Sep 14, 2011
- Encephalitis kills 8 more kids in Bihar - Oct 13, 2011
- Japanese encephalitis kills 68 kids in Gaya - Oct 17, 2011
- WHO experts investigate Bihar's mystery disease - Jun 24, 2011
- Mystery fever claims two more kids in Kanpur village - Aug 11, 2008
- Mysterious disease kills 13 children in Bihar - Jun 18, 2011
- 73 kids die of 'mysterious' disease in Bihar - Jun 08, 2012
Tags: arvind, authorities, deaths, decease, district magistrate, hand pumps, health workers, japanese encephalitis, medical officer, medical team, medical teams, mysterious disease, mystery, rama, rural district, sahu, shanker, team of experts, viral fever