Two bowls of cereal a day can help lose weightFebruary 17th, 2009 - 4:23 pm ICT by ANI
London, Feb 17 (ANI): Tried everything, from long walks to Atkins diet, but still not able to squeeze into your college pants? Well, take heart, for it has been claimed that eating two bowls of cereal a day could help obese people lose weight.
According to a new study carried out by experts at Oxford Brookes University, which consisted of 41 people, suggested that people who eat cereal for two out of their three daily meals could lose more than 4lb in six weeks.
To reach the conclusion, the research team asked volunteers to eat only cereal for breakfast and lunch but allowed them to have whatever they wanted for dinner.
They found that those who combined different varieties of cereal lost most weight but many of those who stuck to one type also weighed less by the end.
The study published by the British Nutrition Foundation found that two thirds of those who ate a single cereal and 78 per cent of those who opted for a combination had lost weight by the end of the period.
While those on a combined diet lost an average of 4.4lb, those who stuck to their favourite brand lost only 1.3lb.
“The results of this study are very interesting and further evidence of the benefits of breakfast cereal as part of a weight-management programme,” the Telegraph quoted Lynne Garton, a nutritionist, as telling the Daily Express.
“Breakfast cereals are easy to incorporate into the diet and can contain substantial amounts of fibre, iron, folic acid and zinc as well as being low in fat, the expert added. (ANI)
- Cereal with milk is healthiest way to start the day - Feb 19, 2011
- Dessert with breakfast can benefit dieters - Jun 26, 2012
- New Atkins diet unhealthy, says Kiwi dietician - Apr 05, 2010
- Adopting healthy habits at work can help employees keep weight off - Mar 27, 2011
- Study Concludes That Less Sugary Cereals For Kids Activates Healthful Consumption By Those Kids - Dec 14, 2010
- Cheers! Drinking a pint of beer a day 'is good for your health' - Jan 14, 2011
- Minimising fat with more exercise easy way to shed weight - May 07, 2012
- Breakfast key to good health - Feb 20, 2011
- Diet used by Kate Middleton's mum branded a 'health hazard' - Nov 27, 2010
- Summer best time to shed weight - Apr 04, 2012
- Blood group diets - a new way to fitness - May 05, 2010
- Breakfast is important, especially for teen mums and their kids - Feb 10, 2011
- Big breakafast beacons weight loss? Nay, says study - Jan 17, 2011
- Low-carb diet may not be good for heart: Study - Jun 11, 2012
- Key to staying slim, healthy is a bowl of wholegrain cereal for breakfast - Nov 28, 2009
Tags: atkins diet, bowls, breakfast cereal, breakfast cereals, british nutrition foundation, conclusion, daily meals, heart, london feb, long walks, lunch, nutritionist, oxford brookes university, six weeks, substantial amounts, telegraph, two thirds, volunteers, weight management programme, zinc