TV chef fuels uproar over wanting to cook Hitler’’s favourite fish dishOctober 27th, 2008 - 6:20 pm ICT by ANI
London, Oct 27 (ANI): A TV chef has created a huge furore after he announced to cook on a prime-time show Adolf Hitler’’s favourite meal trout with butter sauce.
In fact, professional cook Jeroen Meus, will cook the dish at Berchtesgaden, the place where the Nazi leader had his summer home on a mountaintop.
However, Jewish resistance and political prisoner organisations worldwide have condemned the Belgian chef for his programme, as it would portray a soft image of Hitler in the viewers minds.
“In his series Plat Prefere (Favourite Dish), professional cook Jeroen Meus goes to Hitler’’s haunts in southern Germany to prepare trout with butter sauce, a succulent festive meal and said to be one of Hitler’’s favourite meals,” the Scotsman quoted the programme’’s trailer as saying.
The show will be aired on October 28 on the VRT network, which claimed that it would put Hitler “in the right context”.
However, the chief editor of Antwerp’’s Jewish community magazine, Joods Actueel, Michael Freilich, condemned the programme for “presenting Hitler as a simple man of the people.
He also accused Meus of being “naive and ill-informed about the Holocaust and the effects on its survivors.”
Meus is also facing the flak at the hands of political prisoner groups in France, Norway, Holland, Denmark and Italy, who are protesting the “grotesquely tasteless choice of programming”.
However, Jan Stevens, director of Canvas television, part of the VRT chain broadcasting the programme, claimed the programme would help people to “have a better understanding of the dictator.” (ANI)
- Now children are cooking their first meal 5-yrs earlier than their parents did - Feb 16, 2011
- Dine on Nobel 2010 spread for Rs.8,000 - Oct 16, 2011
- Got the munchies? Try Oakland prof's savoury cannabis recipes! - Dec 08, 2010
- Chubritza to lokum, delightfully Turkish - in Kolkata! (Eating Out With IANS) - Jun 12, 2011
- Beer batter squids, anybody? Or beer cheese soup? (Eating out with IANS) - Dec 14, 2010
- Now robots become chefs in Chinese restaurant - Feb 18, 2011
- Not all pasta is pasta: Italian chef - Jun 24, 2011
- This British chef pairs gourmet food with health, nutrition (Feature with pics) - Mar 25, 2012
- Gordon Ramsay's cookbook named worst of 2010 for unhealthy recipes - Dec 21, 2010
- Feast on yam leaf, jungle asparagus when in Himachal (Feature with images) - Jun 08, 2011
- Humble egg in exotic avatars in Indian gourmet kitchens (With Image) - Mar 23, 2012
- Delhi samples exotic flavours of Ecuador (With Image) - Oct 17, 2010
- Rachael Ray Stars NKOTB's Donnie Wahlberg - Sep 23, 2011
- Bhatt to shoot 'Blood Money' in Belgian city this month - Aug 07, 2011
- Chefs at Paprika fishing for compliments (Eating Out With IANS) - Oct 28, 2010
Tags: adolf hitler, butter sauce, chief editor, favourite dish, festive meal, fish dish, furore, jan stevens, jewish resistance, joods, michael freilich, mountaintop, nazi leader, political prisoner, professional cook, simple man, soft image, southern germany, tv chef, uproar