Turin Shroud ‘was burial gown of Jesus’April 10th, 2009 - 3:04 pm ICT by ANI
London, Apr 10 (ANI): Turin Shroud, the linen cloth bearing image of a man who appears to have been physically traumatized in a manner consistent with crucifixion, could be the burial gown of Jesus, says a leading scientist.
Turin Shroud is kept in the royal chapel of the Cathedral of Saint John the Baptist in Turin, Italy. It is believed by many to be the cloth placed on Jesus of Nazareth at the time of his burial.
In 1988 Ray Rogers, who was a spokesman against the authenticity of the Turin Shroud, was at the forefront of the carbon dating of the relic depicting a Christ-like image. It concluded the wrap was a medieval hoax.
Now, from beyond the grave, Ray has admitted that the shroud is far older than results suggested - concluding that what many Christians believed was actually right, reports The Sun.
A director of the Shroud of Turin Research Project (STRP), Ray along with his team had concluded that the 14ft-long linen cloth was fake. However, when new evidence revealed the study was flawed, the sceptic was forced to change his mind.
Ray claimed that the 1988 tests were invalid because they were done on a repaired section of the shroud rather than the original linen. In March 2005, he died of cancer aged 78.
However, shortly before his death he recorded a video detailing explosive conclusions which will be broadcast for the first time on Easter Sunday.
In the short film, gravely ill Ray says: “I don’t believe in miracles that defy the laws of nature. After the 1988 investigation I’d given up on the shroud.
“But now I am coming to the conclusion that it has a very good chance of being the piece of cloth that was used to bury the historic Jesus.”
The Shroud of Turin was virtually unknown until it was photographed on display in the city’s cathedral in 1898. (ANI)
- Shroud of Turin may be real - Dec 20, 2011
- Jesus Christ's 'death certificate' imprinted on Turin Shroud - Nov 21, 2009
- Researchers verify the authenticity of the Shroud of Turin - Dec 23, 2011
- Pope Benedict XVI visits the 'Shroud of Turin' - May 02, 2010
- The face in the Shroud - Mar 31, 2010
- Vatican Researcher Finds Writings On The Shroud of Turin - Nov 21, 2009
- Pope visits Turin to see shroud - May 02, 2010
- Hitler 'wanted to steal' Turin Shroud - Apr 07, 2010
- Turin Shroud hidden from 'obsessive' Hitler during WW-II - Apr 07, 2010
- 'The Real Face Of Jesus' - Mar 31, 2010
- Quite beyond science to explain Turin Shroud: Vatican daily - Dec 30, 2011
- Turin Shroud to go display in Italy - Mar 28, 2010
- Shroud of Turin to be exhibited - Feb 19, 2010
- Shroud of Turin Exhibit Expected to Draw Millions - Feb 18, 2010
- Turin Shroud 'a medieval fake', claim Italian researchers - Oct 06, 2009
Tags: cathedral of saint john the baptist, crucifixion, easter sunday, good chance, hoax, image of a man, jesus of nazareth, john the baptist, laws of nature, linen cloth, new evidence, piece of cloth, ray rogers, relic, saint john the baptist, sceptic, short film, shroud of turin, turin italy, turin shroud