TTF therapy, chemo combo ‘increase survival for lung cancer patients’October 11th, 2010 - 3:01 pm ICT by ANI
Washington, Oct 11 (ANI): Novocure reported today that patients with advanced non-small cell lung cancer (NSCLC) achieved a significant increase in survival time when tumour treating fields (TTF) therapy was added to chemotherapy, as compared to chemotherapy alone.
Physicians delivered TTF Therapy to patients in the study using the NovoTTF-100L-a portable, non-invasive medical device.
The 42 patients had locally advanced and metastatic NSCLC (stage IIIb-IV) and had failed prior treatments with chemotherapy. Patients in the study received TTF Therapy for 12 hours a day in combination with pemetrexed (Alimta; Eli Lilly) until disease progression.
Novocure reported a successful phase III clinical trial of TTF monotherapy in patients with recurrent glioblastoma, an aggressive form of brain cancer.
“We were pleased to report on the results of this multi-center trial of TTF Therapy in a non-brain tumor indication,” said Dr. Miklos Pless, head of medical oncology at the Winterthur Hospital Cancer center in Switzerland.
“We believe this study has shown TTF Therapy to be completely non-toxic and to have the potential to act as a significant adjunct to chemotherapy in the treatment of NSCLC and other solid tumour indications,” he added.
Patients treated with TTF Therapy in combination with pemetrexed had a median overall survival time of 13.8 months compared with the 8.3 months reported for pemetrexed alone.
The one-year survival rate for the combination was 57 percent compared with the 30 percent reported for pemetrexed alone.
The adverse event for TTF Therapy was mild to moderate skin irritation at the treatment site.
Results of this phase III trial have been filed with the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA). (ANI)
- New procedure busts deadly brain tumour cells - Feb 06, 2012
- Targeted cancer drug more effective after first-line treatment - Feb 28, 2011
- This drug can reduce breast cancer recurrence - Sep 27, 2011
- Vaccine extends life of brain cancer patients - Apr 19, 2012
- Vitamin C hastens brain tumour's death - Feb 20, 2012
- FDA approves personalized therapy for tough-to-treat colorectal cancer - Jul 26, 2012
- Bone drug may help fight breast cancer - Jun 03, 2010
- Combo therapy may overcome Herceptin-resistant breast cancer - Mar 14, 2011
- Cancer drug could combat ovarian tumours - Oct 12, 2010
- New drug shows dramatic results in reducing lung cancer tumours - Jun 23, 2010
- New risk factors for brain metastases in breast cancer patients identified - Dec 10, 2010
- Skin rash linked to better outcomes for patients with lung cancer - Dec 20, 2010
- Combination treatment ineffective for advanced melanoma patients - Jun 06, 2010
- Chemo-radiotherapy prevents bladder cancer recurrences - Oct 26, 2010
- Chemo-Vandetanib combo effective for lung cancer treatment: Study - Jun 06, 2010
Tags: alimta, brain cancer, brain tumor, cell lung cancer, chemotherapy patients, disease progression, eli lilly, food and drug administration, food and drug administration fda, hospital cancer center, lung cancer patients, medical oncology, monotherapy, non small cell lung cancer, pemetrexed, pless, small cell lung cancer, stage iiib, survival rate, survival time