TTD to conduct mass marriages in USApril 4th, 2012 - 1:06 am ICT by IANS
Hyderabad, April 3 (IANS) The Tirumala Tirupati Devasthanam (TTD) has decided to conduct mass marriages of Hindus in the US.
The TTD board, which met at Tirumala Tuesday, decided to organise “Kalyanamasthu” in the US from April 28 to June 2. The programme will be held at 10 different locations in the US including San Jose, New Jersey, Dallas, Arizona, Detroit and Seattle, said a statement from TTD.
After successful conduct of several rounds of the mass marriages programme in Andhra Pradesh over the last four years, the TTD, which manages the affairs of the famous Tirumala temple, decided to extend it to the US and other countries.
The body, which looks after India’s richest Hindu temple, also plans to hold “Kalyanamasthu” in Singapore, Japan, Mauritius and Sri Lanka.
It also decided to conduct “Kalyanamasthu” at 11 more temples in Andhra Pradesh on two dates in a year.
Launched four years ago, the programme is aimed at strengthening the Hindu marriage system and to help the poor Hindu families perform the marriages of their children in accordance with Hindu traditions.
TTD officials said the mass marriages were aimed at creating awareness among Hindus to curb wasteful expenditure and discourage conversions as socially and economically backwards Hindus often become targets.
- Mass marriages in Andhra; 12,000 enter into wedlock - May 20, 2011
- 70 couples tie nuptial knot at mass marriage ceremony in Andhra Pradesh - Aug 15, 2010
- Tirupati temple to decide on Janardhana Reddy's offering - Sep 09, 2011
- Tirumala temple shut for lunar eclipse - Jun 16, 2011
- 10 arrested near Tirumala temple - Jul 08, 2011
- Sri Lankan president prays at Tirupati temple for team's victory - Apr 02, 2011
- Action sought against Jagan over Tirupati row, YSR party hits back (Lead) - May 03, 2012
- President Mukherjee's first official visit to Chennai, Tiruputi - Sep 07, 2012
- Tirupati temple deposits 1,175 kg gold with SBI - Feb 11, 2011
- Tirupati temple may get UAV surveillance - Oct 19, 2010
- Manmohan Singh offers prayers at Tirupati temple - Sep 01, 2010
- Act sought against Jagan for flouting temple rules - May 03, 2012
- 7,600 couples marry at Andhra Pradeshs famous Tirumala temple - Nov 04, 2008
- President offers prayers at Tirupati - Jul 07, 2011
- Rajapaksa prays for team at Tirupati, leaves for Mumbai - Apr 02, 2011
Tags: conversions, hindu families, hindu marriage, hindu temple, hindu traditions, hindus, India, japan, marriage, marriage system, mauritius, seattle, singapore, sri lanka, targets, temples, tirumala temple, tirumala tirupati devasthanam ttd, wasteful expenditure