Tsunami threat looms large over southern ItalyFebruary 6th, 2008 - 1:20 pm ICT by admin
London, Feb 6 (ANI): Researchers have used historical data to estimate earthquake risk for three different fault zones in the Mediterranean region, which hints towards a potential tsunami for southern Italy.
According to a report in New Scientist, Stefano Lorito of the National Institute of Geophysics and Vulcanology in Rome, carried out the research.
Tsunamis occur around once a century in the Mediterranean Sea. In 1908, a magnitude 7 earthquake created a tsunami that almost destroyed the Italian cities of Messina and Reggio Calabria, the report said.
Now, new historical data by researchers has found that a major rumble in the quake-prone region off the coast of Greece would trigger a tsunami 5 metres high, which would strike the south-east coasts of Sicily and mainland Italy within an hour.
Meanwhile, waves as high as 1.5 metres could be triggered by earthquakes off north Africa and in the Tyrrhenian Sea, north of Sicily.
According to the report, other countries could also be vulnerable.
“A comparable or even greater threat exists for the coasts of Tunisia, Libya, Egypt and Greece,” said Lorito. (ANI)
- 'Darwin Gap' quake may shake Chile once again - Jan 31, 2011
- Police move to crush mafia in Italy - Jul 13, 2010
- Chile hit by 7.2 magnitude earthquake - Jan 03, 2011
- Three Moroccans arrested on terrorism charges in southern Italy - Feb 01, 2011
- Strongest earthquake in years hits northwest of Norway, no damage - May 25, 2012
- No tsunami threat to India - Mar 11, 2011
- Tsunamis in the past 10 years - Mar 11, 2011
- Italian magistrate arrested in mafia crackdown - Nov 30, 2011
- Tsunami warning issued after powerful quake rocks Indonesia - Oct 25, 2010
- Ten Italian cities are at the risk of bankruptcy - Jul 24, 2012
- Deep 6.8-magnitude earthquake strikes off East Timor; no damage - Aug 30, 2011
- Fugitive Italian mafia leader arrested - May 04, 2012
- Strong earthquake strikes far off Mexico's Pacific coast, no damage - Nov 01, 2011
- Four held for killing man and his four sons - Dec 29, 2010
- Tsunami threat to India doesn't exist: Government (Lead) - Mar 11, 2011
Tags: earthquake risk, earthquakes, east coasts, fault zones, geophysics, italian cities, london feb, mediterranean region, mediterranean sea, messina, national institute of geophysics and vulcanology, new scientist, north africa, prone region, reggio calabria, sea north, sicily, southern italy, tsunami threat, tyrrhenian sea