Tropical storm Agatha pours over Guatemala and El SalvadorJune 2nd, 2010 - 3:07 pm ICT by ANI
Washington, June 2 (ANI): Tropical Storm Agatha - the first tropical storm of the Eastern Pacific hurricane season, took an inland route, drenching El Salvador and Guatemala last weekend.
On May 30th, the heavy rains caused by the storms had left more than 100 people dead in Guatemala and El Salvador, also causing flash floods and mudslides - leaving more than 70,000 homeless.
On May 31, Agatha’s maximum sustained winds decreased to 30 miles (46 kilometers) per hour as her remnants crossed Guatemala’s western highlands and were headed into the Gulf of Mexico.
By June 1, Agatha’s remnants had moved into the northwestern Caribbean Sea, and were located just east of the Yucatan peninsula - still producing intermittent showers and thunderstorms.
The National Hurricane Center (NHC) noted that “Upper-level winds…particularly to the north of the system in the Gulf of Mexico are not conducive for development.”
Agatha stands only a ten percent chance of becoming tropical once again. (ANI)
- Tropical storm Agatha kills 46 in Central America - May 31, 2010
- Four killed as Tropical Storm Agatha, first of the Eastern Pacific season, closes in on Guatemala - May 30, 2010
- 23 die as hurricane rains hit Central America - Oct 13, 2011
- Tropical Storm Dora forms south of Guatemala, expected to become a hurricane - Jul 19, 2011
- Hurricane Ida kills 40 in El Salvador - Nov 09, 2009
- Tropical Storm Karl to hit Yucatan Peninsula, bringing sustained winds of up to 65 mph - Sep 15, 2010
- Tropical Storm Eugene forms in the Pacific, no threat to land - Jul 31, 2011
- Tropical Storm Aletta forms far off Mexico's Pacific coast, no threat - May 15, 2012
- Low pressure system off Mexico's Pacific coast may develop into a tropical depression - May 29, 2010
- Hurricane warning issued for Texas, Mexico as tropical storm Alex nears - Jun 29, 2010
- Tropical Storm Jose passes west of Bermuda - Aug 29, 2011
- Category four hurricane Hilary could threaten Baja California - Sep 24, 2011
- Tropical depression forms in the far eastern Atlantic, may threaten the Caribbean - Aug 29, 2011
- After a volcano, Guatemala struck by the tropical storm 'Agatha' - May 30, 2010
- Toll in storm Agatha rises to 100 (Third Lead) - May 31, 2010
Tags: agatha, caribbean sea, eastern pacific hurricane, flash floods, gulf of mexico, heavy rains, homeless, intermittent showers, kilometers per hour, maximum sustained winds, mudslides, national hurricane center, nhc, pacific hurricane season, remnants, storms, tropical storm, upper level winds, western highlands, yucatan peninsula