Tropical Cyclone 05B to make landfall south of Chennai on December 14December 12th, 2009 - 5:24 pm ICT by ANI
Washington, December 12 (ANI): Reports indicate that tropical Cyclone 05B has formed out of “System 96B” in the Northern Indian Ocean and is forecast to approach southeastern India by December 13 and make landfall south of Chennai on December 14.
On December 11, Tropical Storm 05B had maximum sustained winds near 40 mph.
It was located about 370 nautical miles southeast of Chennai, India, near 9.3 North latitude and 85.1 East longitude.
It was moving north-northeast near 7mph, but is expected to gradually turn west and head for landfall.
Currently, the Tropical Storm 05B is in an area of low wind shear, so it can continue to intensify.
The only thing currently in 05B’s path is a strong zonal jet stream over central India, but forecasters expect that to lift north in the next two days, and that means 05B can strengthen.
Tropical Storm 05B is projected to turn west in the Bay of Bengal and make landfall in the state of Tamil Nadu by December 14.
Residents along the coast of southeastern India in the Tamil Nadu state should make preparations.
Some cities that may be affected by heavy rains and gusty winds include Chennai, Thanjavur, Mahabalipuram, Chengalpattu, Maraimalai Nagar, Mudichur, Madhurantakam and others in that region. (ANI)
- First tropical storm of Northern Indian Ocean cyclone season captured by NASA - May 19, 2010
- Cyclone Thane kills five in Tamil Nadu, Puducherry (Second Lead) - Dec 30, 2011
- Hurricane Irene makes landfall in North Carolina, killing 3 - Aug 27, 2011
- Powerful Hurricane Karl makes landfall on Mexico's Gulf coast - Sep 18, 2010
- Tropical Storm Karl to hit Yucatan Peninsula, bringing sustained winds of up to 65 mph - Sep 15, 2010
- Tropical storm Alex expected to become a hurricane - Jun 30, 2010
- NASA's satellite captures Indian areas under heavy rainfall by Laila - May 21, 2010
- Bermuda cancels tropical storm warning as Gert turns to the northeast - Aug 16, 2011
- Tropical Depression Seven forms in the eastern Atlantic, set to become hurricane - Aug 25, 2010
- Tamil Nadu gears up for cyclone Thane (Lead) - Dec 29, 2011
- Tropical depression 05B to bring moderate and heavy rainfall to Chennai - Dec 15, 2009
- Tropical Storm Katia forms in the far eastern Atlantic, set to become major hurricane - Aug 30, 2011
- Tropical storm Hermine forms, expected to make landfall on U.S.-Mexico coast - Sep 06, 2010
- Hurricane warning issued for Texas, Mexico as tropical storm Alex nears - Jun 29, 2010
- Subtropical Storm Otto forms in the Atlantic, no threat to land - Oct 07, 2010
Tags: 96b, bay of bengal, central india, chennai india, east longitude, forecasters, gusty winds, heavy rains, jet stream, landfall, low wind, maximum sustained winds, nautical miles, north latitude, northern indian ocean, southeastern india, state of tamil nadu, tamil nadu state, tropical cyclone, wind shear