Tropic Thunder ends Dark Knights reign at box officeAugust 18th, 2008 - 1:26 pm ICT by ANI
Washington, Aug 18 (ANI): Dream Works” big-budget film Tropic Thunder topped the weekend box office, knocking The Dark Knight out of the number one spot after it reigned in theatres for more than one month.
According to studio estimates, the comedy starring Ben Stiller, Robert Downey Jr. and Jack Black takes in an estimated 26 million dollars, reports E! Online.
The latest Batman film may have slipped to the second place, with an earning of 16.8 million dollars, but it broke yet another commercial barrier along the way by becoming the second highest grossing film ever.
An animated George Lucas production called Star Wars: The Clone Wars opened in third place this weekend with some 15.5 million dollars.
Mirrors, a 20th Century Fox horror tale about a security guard whose family is terrorized by spirits, opened at number four with 11.1 million dollars over the weekend.
Rounding off the top five was Pineapple Express with 10 million dollars.
The top ten films at the weekend box office are:
1. Tropic Thunder, $26 million
2. The Dark Knight, $16.8 million
3. Star Wars: The Clone Wars, $15.5 million
4. Mirrors, $11.1 million
5. Pineapple Express, $10 million
6. The Mummy: Tomb of the Dragon Emperor, $8.6 million
7. Mamma Mia!, $6.5 million
8. The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants 2, $5.9 million
9. Step Brothers, $5 million
10. Vicky Cristina Barcelona, $3.7 million (ANI)
- Tropic Thunder remains at the top of box office - Aug 25, 2008
- 'The Other Guys' tops weekend box office - Aug 09, 2010
- 'Little Fockers' tops box office for second week in a row - Jan 03, 2011
- 'Expendables' is highest grossing movie at the box office - Aug 23, 2010
- The top 10 highest grossing films - Nov 15, 2010
- Tropic Thunder remains at the top of box office for third weekend - Sep 01, 2008
- 'The Social Network' tops box office for the second week in a row - Oct 11, 2010
- Harry Potter finale makes history with four opening records - Jul 18, 2011
- 'The Hunger Games' gets third biggest opening ever - Mar 27, 2012
- 'Little Fockers' tops box office on weekend - Dec 27, 2010
- 'Inception' tops weekend box office by raking in $43.5 mn - Jul 26, 2010
- Johnny Depp named Highest Paid Actor in Hollywood - Sep 10, 2010
- Russell Brand dominates weekend box office with 'Hop' and 'Arthur' - Apr 11, 2011
- 'The Green Hornet' tops weekend box-office - Jan 17, 2011
- 'Rio' tops Easter weekend box-office earnings - Apr 25, 2011
Tags: 1 million dollars, 20th century fox, dark knights, pineapple express, robert downey, robert downey jr, sisterhood of the traveling pants, star wars the clone wars, studio estimates, weekend box office