Treated stroke victim hails Botox as ‘a bloody miracle’June 19th, 2009 - 2:00 pm ICT by ANI
Melbourne, June 19 (ANI): Russell McPhee, a stroke victim who succeeded in walking after being injected with Botox, has branded his treatment “a bloody miracle”.
McPhee, injected with the wrinkle-smoothing toxin at a Frankston clinic, has now got a new lease of life after spending almost 20 years being a paralytic.
He calls his doctor Nathan Johns, of St John of God Nepean Rehabilitation Hospital, “a miracle worker, a great man”.
“I am so thankful for the day I was wheeled into that clinic. I thought I was going to die in that wheelchair and now I have a chance at a normal life,” whereilive.com.au quoted McPhee as saying.
McPhee, who used to be keen football and basketball player, was struck down by a huge stroke at the age of 26 and was told by doctors that he would never walk again.
He lost his job in the meat industry and his marriage fell apart as he struggled to cope.
“I was at a very low ebb. I was an active guy now confined to a wheelchair and I found that tough to get on with. My marriage broke up and I took to the grog for a while, too. It was like I’d lost everything,” said McPhee.
For the next 20 years, McPhee adjusted to his new life in Korumburra, before being sent to Johns at Frankston’s Nepean Rehabilitation Hospital 18 months ago.
And now, he would become the clinic’s most successful Botox recipient to date.
“It is so fantastic that I found myself at that clinic. The Botox has got me out of the wheelchair. I can walk almost unaided and more with a walking frame,” said McPhee.
He added: “The physio is so intense but I plan to work so hard and make bloody heaps of progress. I do physio, get acupuncture, massage and see a chiropractor, after years of nothing, it’s great. It’s such an amazing breakthrough.”
And Johns is extremely delighted with his patient’s progress.
“Russell’s is the most spectacular of all the positive results we’ve had from Botox injections,” he said. (ANI)
- How a Botox jab made a paralysed stroke victim walk again - Jun 05, 2009
- Aniston tried Botox injection - Dec 16, 2011
- Jordan compares herself to Nanny McPhee - Aug 01, 2010
- Katharine McPhee sizzles in GQ Magazine photo shoot - Feb 07, 2012
- Emma Thompson honoured with Hollywood Walk of Fame star - Aug 07, 2010
- Emma Thompson honoured on 'Hollywood Walk Of Fame' - Aug 07, 2010
- Megan Hilty & Katharine McPhee to star in NBC show 'Smash' - Feb 11, 2012
- Emma Thompson walks the blue carpet at Nanny McPhee premiere with pig! - Mar 25, 2010
- Julia Roberts not a Botox fan - Aug 06, 2010
- Katie Price gives up botox for baby - May 06, 2010
- Botox Injections Approved By FDA To Treat Migraines - Oct 18, 2010
- Work saved me from depression: Emma Thompson - Mar 29, 2010
- Underwood highest earning 'American Idol' contestant - Jul 24, 2011
- Maggie Gyllenhaal says its okay to fail as a parent sometimes - Aug 25, 2010
- Katie Price is botox babe! - Oct 19, 2011
Tags: basketball player, botox, botox injections, chiropractor, doctor nathan, great man, grog, heaps, john of god, low ebb, mcphee, meat industry, miracle worker, nepean, new lease, paralytic, physio, rehabilitation hospital, st john of god, stroke victim