Trapped Chilean miner is blessed with a daughterSeptember 15th, 2010 - 1:17 pm ICT by IANS
Santiago, Sep 15 (IANS/EFE) One of the 33 miners trapped in a Chilean mine since Aug 5 has been blessed with a daughter after his wife gave birth to their child in a hospital.
Esperanza, which means “hope”, was delivered at 12.00 p.m. Tuesday in a hospital in Copiapo city, some 800 km from Santiago. She weighed three kilograms and measured 48 cm.
The name of Ariel and Elisabeth Ticona’s daughter was inspired by “Camp Hope”, set up by 200 relatives of the miners outside the San Jose mine.
After the delivery Elisabeth said the only thing she wants now is for her husband “to come out and get to know the little girl”.
She said that a relative had filmed the delivery and the videotape will be sent to the mine, where the 29-year-old father - who already has two sons - will be able to see his first daughter come into the world.
Seven hundred metres below ground, another miner Victor Zamora is also expecting a child with his wife Jessica, who is 13 weeks pregnant.
Meanwhile, the rescue teams are finalizing details of resuming drilling to extract the miners after they halted their work about four days ago, officials said.
- Trapped Chile miner to miss baby's birth - Aug 30, 2010
- Chile mine rescue enters final phase (Lead) - Oct 12, 2010
- Miners' rescue will take months, says Chile - Aug 24, 2010
- Trapped Chilean miners could be freed in two weeks - Sep 29, 2010
- Chile set to launch final operation to free trapped miners - Oct 06, 2010
- Woman who snatched baby from Chilean hospital nabbed - May 15, 2012
- Peruvian poet wins Chile's Neruda Prize - Jun 09, 2010
- Bolivian priest found guilty of sexual assault in Chile - Jun 20, 2010
- Chilean miners' families to sue government - Oct 01, 2010
- 14 miners who survived Chile's 2010 accident seek retirement - Jul 04, 2011
- 11 members of drug gang killed in Mexico - Aug 13, 2010
- Chilean director to make film on trapped miners - Sep 08, 2010
- Chilean president chats with trapped miners - Sep 21, 2010
- Trapped Chilean miners discussed cannibalism - Oct 11, 2011
- Chilean President Sebastian Pinera says that 33 miners are still alive in the shelter - Aug 23, 2010