TRAI to start registration of telemarketers from Jan 15January 14th, 2011 - 8:32 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Jan 14 (IANS) In the first step towards ending the menace of pesky calls, the telecom watchdog Friday said it will start online registration of telemarketing companies from Jan 15.”The new telemarketers will have to pay a registration fee of Rs.1,000 and customer education fee of Rs.9,000 while the existing telemarketers will have to pay the customer education fee of Rs.9,000,” Telecom Regulatory Authority of India (TRAI) said in a statement.
“The registration would be valid for a period of 3 years unless revoked earlier,” it added.
Last year, the telecom watchdog announced a set of new measures to curb unsolicited commercial calls and messages, which were to be implemented from Jan 1, including online registration of the telemarketing companies on Dec 15.
The registration process which required all the telemarketers to fill in online application forms for getting themselves registered was postponed citing security reasons.
The regulations, which is expected to curb the menace of pesky calls, includes a fine in the range of Rs.25,000 to Rs.250,000 for the defaulting companies and allocation of a number starting with ‘70′ to telemarketers making it easy for customers to recognise their numbers.
Unlike the previous regulation that asked customers to register their numbers in ‘do not call’ list, users can now choose from different categories like ‘fully blocked’ or ‘partially blocked,’ under which a customer can receive communication for categories of his choice.
- Pesky calls to nag for some more time - Feb 28, 2011
- No more pesky calls, messages from Sep 27: TRAI - Sep 05, 2011
- No more pesky calls, SMSs from Tuesday - Sep 26, 2011
- Over 130 mn subscribers opt for do not call registry - Sep 02, 2011
- TRAI disconnects connections of telemarketing companies for pesky calls - Aug 10, 2011
- Pesky calls to nag customers for one more month - Jan 31, 2011
- Pesky calls to nag customers for one more month - Dec 28, 2010
- Setting up of telemarketer's register postponed - Dec 15, 2010
- Relief from unwanted bulk SMSs in six weeks: Sibal - Aug 19, 2011
- Government hangs up on telemarketers - Dec 01, 2010
- Schools, colleges not barred from sending bulk messages - Mar 08, 2011
- This time, mobile phone users hope for real relief from pesky calls - Dec 05, 2010
- TRAI issues unsolicited commercial communications regulations - Dec 01, 2010
- Regulation preventing pesky calls comes into effect - Sep 27, 2011
- TRAI to disconnect individual numbers making pesky calls, messages - Nov 04, 2011
Tags: 3 years, application forms, customer education, education fee, measures, New Delhi, registration fee, rs 1, rs 250, security reasons, telecom regulatory authority, telecom regulatory authority of india, telemarketers, telemarketing companies, watchdog