Thrifty Queen hasnt had her homes redecorated in past 50 years!June 30th, 2008 - 1:46 pm ICT by ANI
London, June 29 (ANI): She may be ruling England, yet The Queen is so thrifty that she has never had her homes redecorated in more than 50 years.
By leaving the palaces exactly as they were during the reign of her father George VI, the monarch has managed to save a fortune.
The grand State Rooms at Buckingham Palace and the Royal Familys private quarters at Windsor Castle, the Queens main residence, are among the properties that desperately need to be repaired.
The revelation came as senior courtiers revealed the Royals annual accounts.
Sir Alan Reid, Keeper of the Privy Purse, said he faced a backlog of 32 million pounds of maintenance projects over the next ten years.
This relates to essential maintenance and does not include any allowance for projects such as the re-decoration of the State Rooms at Buckingham Palace, most of which were last re-decorated before the Queens reign, The Sun quoted him, as saying.
Another official said that it was not just Buckingham Palace that is in need of a lick of paint, saying: The only rooms at Windsor Castle that have been re-decorated are the ones that were damaged by the fire.
Apart from saving her decorating bills, the Queen has saved money by insisting staff to cut costs wherever possible.
Her electricity bill actually fell by almost ten per cent last year, while her gas bill was unchanged.
However, the Royals came under fire again over the cost of their travel, with the annual bill up 800,000 pounds to 6.4 million pounds.
According to the account books, more than 22,000 pounds was spent on chartering a helicopter to take the Queen, Prince Philip and two pals to the Kentucky Derby in Louisville during a state visit to the US in May last year.
The official five-day visit to the US cost almost 412,000 pounds in total.
Travel cost for Charles and Camillas two-week official visit to the Caribbean in March totalled 275,625 pounds.
Graham Smith, of campaign group Republic, branded the travel costs a disgrace.
- Queen Elizabeth gets bleeding nose - Apr 15, 2011
- Queen Elizabeth II visits Prince Philip in hospital - Jun 07, 2012
- Millions to celebrate 'People's Royal Wedding' on April 29! - Nov 24, 2010
- Queen Elizabeth's Christmas message to focus on family - Dec 25, 2011
- WillKat wedding helped palace earn 42 mn pounds - Jul 27, 2011
- Queen's advisers reject MPs demand to open Buckingham Palace more often - Jun 27, 2009
- Queen told to open Buckingham Palace to the public more often - Jan 27, 2009
- Queen's husband Prince Philip hospitalized due to infection - Jun 05, 2012
- British queen's pay rise ruled out - Dec 06, 2011
- British royal family told to cut expenses - Oct 09, 2010
- Photographs Of Queen Elizabeth And The British Royal Family To Be Uploaded On Flickr - Jul 26, 2010
- Princess Diana's palace opens to public - Mar 26, 2012
- Queen's photos found in attic show off-duty life of the Royals - Feb 22, 2011
- Kate Middleton's first lesson is learning when to curtsey to whom - May 02, 2011
- Who will pick the Royal wedding tab - Prince William or Brit taxpayers? - Nov 18, 2010
Tags: account books, backlog, buckingham palace, camillas, campaign group, courtiers, electricity bill, george vi, graham smith, helicopter, kentucky derby, maintenance projects, monarch, palaces, pals, prince philip, private quarters, privy purse, sir alan, windsor castle