Three Britons travel round the world in taxi!May 12th, 2012 - 10:51 am ICT by IANS
London, May 12 (IANS) Three Britons in their 20s have undertaken a record-breaking trip around the world in a cab, travelling over 43,000 miles (over 69,000 km) and putting 80,000 pounds (about $128,600) on the meter.
The three friends — Paul Archer, 25, Leigh Purnell, 24, and Johno Ellison, 28 — drove across four continents and 50 different countries in their trusty diesel motor, affectionately called Hannah, the Daily Express reported.
They had set out from London in February 2011 and returned home Thursday after completing their record-breaking trip. But the trio, from Birmingham’s Aston University, had some bizarre experiences during their expedition.
They had to dig the taxi out of a snowdrift in the Arctic Circle, were arrested in Moscow for drinking in front of the Kremlin and received a personal pardon from the president of Moldova after failing to produce the correct documents.
The three even endured detention by the Iranian Secret Police. Paul, one of the trio, was even deported as a suspected spy.
They have already set a new Guinness World Record for the highest taxi journey after reaching 5,300 metres above sea level with Hannah at Mount Everest’s base camp.
After crossing the finish line in Covent Garden, Guinness World Records is expected to confirm whether they have broken the record for the longest journey by taxi or not.
The current record — 21,691 miles at a cost of 40,210 pounds — is held by Britons Eremy Levine and Mark Aylett and Spaniard Carlos Arrese who travelled from London to Cape Town in 1994.
They slept in cheap hotels and hostels, planned to raise 20,000 pounds for the British Red Cross with a journey from London to Sydney but were 5,000 pounds short of their goal by the time they reached their destination.
- Witches set world record for largest gathering - Aug 19, 2012
- Briton builds world's longest motobike - Jul 28, 2011
- Brit teacher finishes 37,000 mile African motorbike ride in 9 mnths - Aug 16, 2010
- Brit explorer's record-breaking Amazon trek nears completion - Aug 07, 2010
- Brit man eyes record by juggling football 30 miles across London - Jan 26, 2010
- Mexican sets new world record for fastest barefoot water skiing - Mar 09, 2011
- Britons pay Indians to become surrogate mothers: Report - May 27, 2012
- 200,000 people worldwide celebrate Guinness World Records Day - Nov 19, 2010
- Largest video game controller unveiled in London - Jan 19, 2012
- Britons spend a year of their lives in the pub - Aug 04, 2012
- Chinese vase sells for record 53 mn pounds - Nov 12, 2010
- Britain sets new record for biggest ever pass the parcel - Dec 09, 2010
- Salman film breaks SRK's overseas record - Sep 03, 2011
- Woman has third consecutive leap year baby - Mar 03, 2012
- Cuban man sets fifth Guinness record - Nov 21, 2011
Tags: aston university, aylett, bizarre experiences, british red cross, correct documents, daily express, diesel motor, finish line, four continents, friends paul, guinness world record, guinness world records, johno, longest journey, paul archer, purnell, snowdrift, taxi london, three britons, trip around the world