Thousands of skeletons found in London pitAugust 6th, 2012 - 9:50 pm ICT by IANS
London, Aug 6 (IANS) Thousands of skeletons found in a mass grave in London were of people who died due to climatic changes after a 13th century volcanic eruption, according to archaeologists.
An excavation, which took place between 1991 and 2007, discovered 10,500 medieval skeletons at Spitalfields Market in east London, the Daily Mail reported.
Experts says there could have been as many as 18,000 bodies.
At that time, experts assumed the people had died during the Black Death or the Great Famine.
However, after performing radiocarbon dating of the bones, scientists have come to the conclusion that they were in fact victims of a 13th century volcanic eruption, one of the largest in the past 10,000 years.
The daily said the eruption was so big that its sulphurous gases created a veil of dry fog across the earth’s stratosphere which blocked out sunlight, altered the atmosphere and cooled the earth’s surface causing famine, plague and death.
As many as 15,000 people in London could have perished, the scientists said.
Though the location of the volcano has not yet been discovered, researchers believe it could have been as far away as Mexico, Ecuador and Indonesia and was up to eight times higher that Indonesia’s Krakatoa eruption in 1883.
- We can detect volcanoes on alien worlds, say scientists - Sep 08, 2010
- Volcanic eruptions affect rainfall over Asian region - Nov 05, 2010
- Increased volcanic activity seen at Indonesia's Mount Anak Krakatau - Nov 02, 2010
- Now, iPhone sized radio transmitters to predict volcanic eruption - Sep 20, 2010
- Massive volcanic eruption 'caused world's largest extinction' - Jan 24, 2011
- Mystery volcano eruption solves 'cool decade in the early 1800s' puzzle - Dec 10, 2009
- Yellowstone super-volcano eruption could happen - Jan 25, 2011
- Scientists reveal improved techniques for predicting volcanic eruptions - Sep 27, 2010
- Fossil haul shows life's recovery after near-extinction - Dec 23, 2010
- Geoengineering 'can't just slam on the brakes' on rising sea levels - Aug 24, 2010
- Mission to search for alien life on outer fringes of Earth's atmosphere - Oct 03, 2010
- Ancient global warming turned earth an inferno - Nov 18, 2011
- Venus could hold warning for Earth - Dec 01, 2010
- Man-made volcanoes may cool Earth by reflecting sunlight back into space - Aug 30, 2009
- European airlines cancel more than 500 flights as volcanic ash spreads - May 24, 2011
Tags: archaeologists, black death, climatic changes, daily mail, dry fog, east london, eight times, excavation, gases, great famine, krakatoa eruption, mass grave, plague, radiocarbon, skeletons, stratosphere, time experts, veil, volcanic eruption, volcano