The Pill can help female singers attain vocal perfectionJanuary 13th, 2008 - 2:03 pm ICT by admin
London, Jan 13 (ANI): A piece of advice for female singers who are striving for vocal perfection start taking contraceptive pills.
Researchers at Sheffield University have advised contraceptive pill for such females because the hormones can help stabilise their voices.
Sometimes Opera singers face problems hitting high notes at key points in their menstrual cycle because of changes to their vocal chords.
The researchers found that singers taking the pill benefited from a more stable and controllable vocal range.
According to them, the hormones help reduce the changes to the vocal chords and ligaments that control them.
“Singers tend to have a more erratic voice around premenstrual and menstrual phases of the cycle. They have less vocal control, and suffer vocal fatigue and also hoarseness,” the Telegraph quoted Dr Filipa La, who carried out the study at Sheffield’s music department, as saying.
Lesley Garrett, the British soprano said: “When I was taking the pill I found it reduces a lot of the symptoms that accompanied my period.
“Now I am taking hormone replacement therapy and I think this is now helping female singers extend their careers beyond the menopause, she added. (ANI)
- 'Natural' new pill could boost women's sex drive - Jun 13, 2010
- Menstruation ups knee injury risks, contraceptive pill protects - Apr 28, 2011
- The Pill 'turns women off macho men' - Oct 08, 2009
- A tiny dose of Prozac may help relieve women's monthly misery - Sep 18, 2010
- PMS: Women's monthly misery just a drug away - Sep 19, 2010
- Soon, a pill that would help women fight 'monthly blues' - Jan 17, 2011
- Women's voices remain steady throughout menstrual cycle - Apr 12, 2011
- Hormonal contraception drives joy out of sex for women - Oct 31, 2011
- Do female voices give clue of ovulation? - Sep 25, 2011
- Gene with role in premenstrual disorder identified - Feb 09, 2010
- Why women splash out on luxury items - Sep 19, 2010
- Sex hormone protects women from cardio risks - Aug 12, 2011
- New contraceptive jab for men gets thumbs up - Feb 06, 2011
- Third generation contraceptive pills much riskier - Apr 22, 2011
- How HRT and the Pill can lead to breast cancer - Sep 30, 2010
Tags: contraceptive pill, contraceptive pills, face problems, female singers, filipa, hoarseness, hormone replacement therapy, hormones, lesley garrett, ligaments, london jan, menstrual cycle, music department, opera singers, piece of advice, premenstrual, sheffield university, vocal chords, vocal fatigue, vocal range