The Astronaut’s Cookbook reveals what space travellers’ meals are likeNovember 27th, 2009 - 4:42 pm ICT by ANI
London, Nov 27 (ANI): A new recipe book titled, The Astronaut’s Cookbook: Tales, Recipes and More, reveals what space travellers eat on their voyages.
Charles Bourland, the author of the cookbook, was a NASA space chef for 30 years.
“I always wanted to write a book about space food history. The editors wanted to do a cookbook,” the Telegraph quoted Bourland, as saying.
According to Discovery News, the book not only mentions dishes like barbecue beef and shrimp cocktail but also throws a glimpse at future space foods.
However, the book does not spell out methods of irradiating, thermostabilising and freeze-drying - process that all space food undergoes to enhance its shelf life.
Bourland said: “In the book, we stop before that.”
The cookbook also has anecdotes about zero-gravity dining, and a few recipes by celebrity chefs like Rachael Ray and Emeril Lagasse. (ANI)
- Giving thought for food on space mission - Nov 30, 2009
- What astronauts should eat in space - Jan 19, 2010
- Emeril Lagasse to join 'Top Chef' - Aug 11, 2011
- Oz firms develop first beer that can be consumed in space - Mar 01, 2011
- What do astronauts eat in space? - Jul 03, 2010
- Martha Stewart and Emeril sued over bad knives - Sep 14, 2012
- Gordon Ramsay's cookbook named worst of 2010 for unhealthy recipes - Dec 21, 2010
- Memorial Day Witnesses The Launch Of "Cooking Channel" - Jun 01, 2010
- 'No secrets in kitchen' is celebrity Indian chef's mantra - May 08, 2012
- 'Modernist Cuisine' - the world's heaviest recipe book? - Mar 14, 2011
- Rachael Ray: Poppy Montgomery & Linda Evans - Oct 18, 2011
- Worms on ISS mission reproduce in space - Nov 30, 2011
- White House veggies in fresh scam - Jan 17, 2010
- Meet the man who cooks nitrogen-dipped burgers, ultrasonic French fries! - Feb 18, 2011
- Scientist dreams of being first Puerto Rican woman in space - Jul 14, 2012
Tags: anecdotes, astronaut, barbecue beef, celebrity chefs, cookbook, discovery news, emeril lagasse, food history, freeze drying process, future space, glimpse, nasa, nasa space, rachael ray, recipe book, shelf life, shrimp cocktail, space food, space foods, space travellers