Terry slithers to glory in ‘World’s Fastest Snail’ raceJuly 19th, 2009 - 4:34 am ICT by IANS
London, July 19 (DPA) Terry the snail was declared the World’s fastest of his kind Saturday, slithering to victory in an annual race in eastern England, taking two minutes 49 seconds to cover 33 centimetres.
His owner, 27-year-old nurse Claire Hopkins, had purchased him for 20 pence (around $0.35) shortly beforehand from race organiser Neil Riseborough.
It was the 15th time he had organised the event, which has been going on since the 1960s. Terry left 11 fellow molluscs in his slimy wake. They reached the final following 12 opening rounds.
Terry’s time was well short of the 1995 record held by of Archie, who covered the 33-centimetre distance in just under two minutes. Last year’s winner, Heikki, took three minutes and two seconds.
The races take place on specially-lubricated tables. Competing snails must reach the edge of the table, having been set down in the middle. Terry’s reward: a silver cup - full of lettuce leaves.
- Sidney the snail is the new world snail racing champion - Jul 19, 2010
- Belarus officials see fast money - in snails - Oct 27, 2009
- The Amazing Race Reaches Land Of Mystery, Oman - Nov 15, 2010
- Kerosene to combat African snails in Kerala - Aug 10, 2011
- Now, Obama and Palin don boxing gloves to 'fight it out' in Archie - Sep 28, 2010
- Send a card, help a child, says Unicef - Sep 08, 2011
- China bans sale of mud snails after vomiting cases - Jul 20, 2012
- Webber natches British Grand Prix win from Alonso - Jul 08, 2012
- How meth improves snail's memory - Jun 04, 2010
- 'Rework climate change models to save snails' - Feb 08, 2012
- SCRIPT 2012 film fest invites entries - Oct 13, 2011
- Some snails evolved 'counter-coil' to evade predators' uneven bite - Dec 08, 2010
- Approached for two Bollywood films: Paris Hilton - Sep 24, 2011
- Ukraine coach hits out at refereeing after Euro exit - Jun 20, 2012
- Hamilton takes pole in Malaysian GP, Force India disappoint - Mar 24, 2012
Tags: 1960s, archie, centimetre, dpa, eastern england, fellow, heikki, lettuce, london, molluscs, nurse, pence, race organiser, silver cup, slithers, snail race, snails, three minutes, two minutes, victory